• Register
  • Help

Topic: Game Industry Contacts

Share/Bookmark

Game Industry Contacts

Hey guys,

Could you tell me if there exists a list of game developers/project managers somewhere? I think this would be helpful for many of the newbies here. Thanks.

Cool Re: Game Industry Contacts

Quote Originally Posted by VincePro
    Could you tell me if there exists a list of game developers/project managers somewhere? I think this would be helpful for many of the newbies here. Thanks.
    Bwaa HA Ha ha! No wait. You're serious?

First of all, the turnover is so high that any list would be out of date before you published it. The Film Music Network has something called "Video Game Music Directory, 2004 Edition", but it has contacts years out of date. For example, it has Cave Dog, whis has been dead for three or more years.

Secondly, while composers and sound designers will share music tips, talk shop and get together for parties with groups like GANG, industry contacts are hoarded like gold and nobody shares them. That is part of the game. You have to go out an make your own contacts. There are no free rides. Sorry.

Business is the hard part, and generally the most important. Talent is just expected.
    Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Re: Game Industry Contacts

Bwaaa HA hahahahahaha! LOL

Vince, in terms of tracking down Game Dev companies, try doing searches through Google, go into a game shop and look on the boxes of some of your fav games and see who are making them, etc. You'll quickly get a feel for the style of games various studios produce. You'll also likely impress them if you have a knowledge of their track record.

You should also get an idea of whether your style suits theirs too. For example, if a game company has only ever released military shoot-em-up games and you excel in softer rpg style music, they may not be the right company for you to approach.

Also look on the GDC or IDGA websites, they will often have a list of attendees from past Conferences. Here in Australia I did just that and found a PDF file of every major game studio in the country.

Hope this helps.

Scott.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Hey, thanks a lot for your time and info Scott. I'll be sure to do that.

You might also want to check out the following websites:

http://www.thegameinitiative.com/

http://www.gamasutra.com/

http://www.gamedev.net/

Gamasutra is a game devs staple website. The Game initiative is responsible for breaking into the game industry conferences which are very cool. The one thing that you do learn from attending these conferences is that us audio guys have it tough! Good luck.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cairns
    Vince, in terms of tracking down Game Dev companies, try doing searches through Google, go into a game shop and look on the boxes of some of your fav games and see who are making them, etc. You'll quickly get a feel for the style of games various studios produce. You'll also likely impress them if you have a knowledge of their track record.
    This is just good advice in general. I used that approach to almost land an internship at Alias Wavefront before I even got into a high school (except I ended up moving to Sweden a month later). It's worked great for companies trying to get the composer they want too. Just check out Hideo Kojima's luck with Harry Gregson-Willams at http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/fea...s2/p02_04.html.

Go Back to forum