• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do I get rid of Widows XP

Share/Bookmark

How do I get rid of Widows XP

I\'m embarrassed to ask on this forum but I\'ve been blown off by others.

I upgraded to Widows XP, but want to downgrade back to 98SE. What do I do? How do I uninstall. Do I need to repartition. You see I know zip.

Re: How do I get rid of Widows XP

Woops - spelling. Well, -my wife considers herself an XP widow..

Boot up with the Win98SE CD in the CDROM drive. If your system has the CDROM drive in the boot path, it should allow you to boot from the CD and start the Win98SE install process. If not, you should be able to change the boot path in the CMOS settings (usually accessible by pressing the DEL key right after power on - but it may be different with your PC). IF your WinXP system is NOT using the NTFS file system (and unfortunately, I think MS defaulted XP to use NTFS), Win98SE should allow you to install a DUAL BOOT system where you can choose to boot Win98 or XP when you power on. If not (i.e your system IS using NTFS), reinstralling will WIPE OUT ALL DATA ON YOUR BOOT HARD DRIVE so back up anything you need (to CD-R or another PC, upload to the internet, diskette, ZIP drive, whatever...) BEFORE you try installing Win98SE.

How to Uninstall Windows XP and Revert to a Previous Operating System (Q303661)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY
    This article describes how to uninstall Windows XP after an upgrade (by using a qualifying upgrade path) has completed successfully. This would include the successful creation of the Windows XP uninstallation files (Backup.cab and Boot.cab) during the initial upgrade.

MORE INFORMATION

Important Notes
    If enough space is available, the Windows XP uninstallation files are automatically saved during the upgrade process.

If the Windows XP uninstallation files have been removed from the computer, you cannot use the uninstallation process that is described in this article.

Any programs that were installed prior to the Windows XP upgrade will be preserved. Additionally, any programs that were installed after the Windows XP upgrade will not be available after you uninstall Windows XP. You may need to reinstall these programs.

To be able to successfully uninstall Windows XP, you must have upgraded from Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition, or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me).

NOTE : If you upgraded from Microsoft Windows 2000, you cannot uninstall Windows XP.

How to Uninstall Windows XP
    To uninstall Windows XP:
    Start Windows XP normally. If you cannot start Windows XP normally, press and hold down the F8 key while your computer is starting until the Startup Menu appears. Then use the UP ARROW and DOWN ARROW keys to select Safe Mode , and then press ENTER to start Windows XP in Safe Mode.

Click Start , and then click Control Panel .

Click Add or Remove Programs .

Click Change or Remove Programs .

In the list of currently installed programs, click Windows XP Uninstall , click Change/Remove , and then click Uninstall Windows XP .

When you receive the \"Are you sure you want to uninstall Windows XP and restore your previous operating system?\" message, click Yes to start the Windows XP uninstallation process.

After the Windows XP uninstallation process completes, your computer will shutdown, restart, and then boot to the previously-installed operating system.

For additional information about related topics, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    Q303160 Uninstall Option Not Available on Windows XP
    Q292607 Windows XP Supported Upgrade Paths
    Q308008 How to Remove the Windows XP Uninstallation Files
    Q308233 How to Start the Windows XP Uninstallation Process from a Command Prompt

Garypr, Haydn, -thanks. That worked OK

Win98 -all is forgiven. The freezing and crashes are now a welcome sight..

Just wondering what issues you were having in Win XP? I find XP is quite stable except for a couple beta drivers I\'m still testing. Everything else works great. I\'m quite tired of the lockups I\'ve been getting in Win 98 mostly doing browsing on the Internet - never have these problems in XP.

Go Back to forum