• Register
  • Help

Topic: Apple G3 Powerbook big enough for GPO?

Share/Bookmark

Apple G3 Powerbook big enough for GPO?

Can anyone tell me if the Apple G3 Powerbook running OSX and the maximum 512 mb of ram is adequate to run GPO? In this case I would be satisfied to record one audio track at a time with practically 0 latency. I've got a powerbook sitting here that I'd like to setup for the road.

Rick

Re: Apple G3 Powerbook big enough for GPO?

Quote Originally Posted by RickD
    Can anyone tell me if the Apple G3 Powerbook running OSX and the maximum 512 mb of ram is adequate to run GPO? In this case I would be satisfied to record one audio track at a time with practically 0 latency. I've got a powerbook sitting here that I'd like to setup for the road.
    I think you'll find it very frustrating but perhaps workable if you truly need to run only one or two sounds at a time. The minimum recommended Mac hardware for GPO is G4 733MHz. My old PowerBook, which I kept after upgrading to new G4 a few months ago, is a Wallstreet G3 with a 500 MHz G4 processor upgrade and 512MB RAM. I can run Kontakt in standalone in OSX (I do not have GPO installed on it), but polyphony and processing functions are limited...since Kontakt takes advantage of the Altivec features of the G4 CPU, I'm afraid your stock G3 would be quite overwhelmed.

Brian

Hey Rick,

Before I upgraded to my Titanium G4 Powerbook (667 mhz - 512 mb ram), I was able to load GPO onto my G3 Wallstreet (233 mhz- 384 mb ram)

Though, as Brian points out, it didn't do very well. I was able to use it for no more than 3 tracks of dry instruments (and had the buffer set to 512 and the sample resolution set to 19200). But I was successful using it with another computer that has Protools on it - (recording each AUDIO track separately) If you are using it in conjuction with another computer which has multitrack recording on it, you should be fine, but if your powerbook will be your sole computer - you might be dissappointed.
    Even with my newer powerbook, I still have to up my buffer size to 512 and reduce the resolution of the samples in order to be able to do much. But It use it more as a scetch-pad sort of thing - developing ideas, doing rough work and such - then going home and getting the polshing work done on my iMac g4 1 ghz (768 mb ram) Actually my powerbook can do everything the iMac can as far as running GPO with Cubase SX and Finale, just at lower sample rsolutions.
    (Dreaming of Dual 2.5 Ghz G5 with 4 gigs of ram )
    For what it's worth.

Jerry Wickham

Thanks for the answers, I guess I'll have to upgrade the ole powerbook.

Rick

Go Back to forum