• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pumping Sound on strings like compression ?

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Pumping Sound on strings like compression ?

Please help I´m new !
    I get an odd pumping sound from the strings,when the phrase is eighth notes it is somewhat quiter and when the strings come to a whole note they kind of swell and get louder !?!? strange but true and they sometime seem to lag behind.
    3Ghz - 1000 mb RAM and all I have is Solo Flute with String Orch surely my PC can´t be overworked ? When I use Cubase I have loads of VST instruments running and have no problems, I have set the Buffer size at 512 and the GPO studio shows around 42% cpu max perhaps I´ve set something else up wrong? any tips would be welcome.
    Thanks Chris Osnabrück/Germany

Re: Pumping Sound on strings like compression ?

Quote Originally Posted by papabear
    Please help I´m new !
    I get an odd pumping sound from the strings,when the phrase is eighth notes it is somewhat quiter and when the strings come to a whole note they kind of swell and get louder !?!? strange but true and they sometime seem to lag behind.
    3Ghz - 1000 mb RAM and all I have is Solo Flute with String Orch surely my PC can´t be overworked ? When I use Cubase I have loads of VST instruments running and have no problems, I have set the Buffer size at 512 and the GPO studio shows around 42% cpu max perhaps I´ve set something else up wrong? any tips would be welcome.
    Chris,

Here's some tips. Try using the sustain pedal for legato mode for smoother connection between the notes. Also, try riding the mod wheel to get the dynamic levels you need.

Your computer is plenty powerful and your CPU should be much less. Try using only the "dry" instruments (avoid wet) and put Ambience as an effect send. Make sure the "Auto Convert to 32 bit" is NOT enabled and set your ASIO buffers to 1,024. See if this helps.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by papabear
    Please help I´m new !
    I found it often times is easier to use short bow patches(and more realistic when repeating notes) when it calls for short repetitions. Im not sure if this is what your after since im not sure what your trying to accomplish. Secondly the piano roll and modulation CC is probably my best friend with GPO. Sure you can do it manually but its really really hard to switch lets say two notes run together one you want accented the other lower in volume without a strong attack(have to mess with the velocity to sometimes), hard to do live. Drawing though you can do the switch really easy. Hope this is what you mean and helps.
    Nicole Davis

A big dankeschön Gary & Nicole I´ll try that. chris

Is it possible to switch between the short+sus and short bow on a single piece depending on the passage? Or do you have to set them up as different instruments?

Gardibolt,

You need to set them up as separate instruments with the present version but the next update will include switching.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Gardibolt,

You need to set them up as separate instruments with the present version but the next update will include switching.

Tom
    Regarding Gary's message above about using dry instruments - is there a rule of thumb about when you should use wet and when you should use dry instruments?

And regarding updates, I just bought GPO this weekend at my local retailer. How do I know if I have the latest version? I did update Kontakt online. Is there anything else that might need updating?

I think the rule of thumb about when you use dry instruments is:

Always.

I'm not actuallly sure why the wet ones are there They use fake reverb, so you may as well use a decent plugin or bit of hardware.
    "A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules,often with the assistence of unsuspecting musicians"

Deadbeat,

You are correct - always use the "dry" instruments. The "wet" instruments are too demanding on the CPU to be practical since it places a reverb module in each instrument. Reverb is most efficiently applied in the standard aux send/return configuration within the sequencer. We included the Ambience reverb plugin for that purpose.

So, why did we include the "wet" instruments? They are there for quick and convenient auditioning purposes. We didn't want the user's first impression (before everything was properly configured in the user's sequencer) to be one of dry instruments. The "wet" audition instruments give the user a convenient way to hear the instruments in an acoustic setting. Once selections have been made from the auditions the corresponding dry instruments should be substituted for actual work. Also, at the time we released the library it was not possible to shut the reverb module off, so it couldn't be incorporated as a feature in all instruments.

Tom

Go Back to forum