• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Daily Show...

Share/Bookmark

The Daily Show...

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Funny and at times smacks at truth like only comedy can.

Check out these six little vids

http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_show...t/videos.jhtml

Especially check out the video 'Stewart: Conventional Wisdom'

god that was fuuuunnnny!!!

Re: The Daily Show...

Check out this one as well called 'Delayed Election'

Incidentally these guys let no one escape their comedy...liberal or not.

http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_show...html?p=corddry

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

This bit makes the conversation between Ted Koppel and Jon Stewart on Nightline even more interesting. Koppel was asking Stewart how seriously he took the idea that people actually tune into The Daily Show for news.

I would say that piece on "talking points" is as brilliant and legitimate piece of political reporting as has ever been aired. Certainly more valuable than letting the opposing talking heads run down their list of talking points, and thank you, goodnight.

At least Jon Stewart is pointing out the utter BS.

Yes, brilliant, indeed. And their medium allows them to express critical questions that need to be answered.

If those elements are missing in our media...then by any means necessary, IMO.

Corddy's piece called 'The lIbrary' was a fun one too...he breaks into a Whitney Huston song right at the end of the interview and the expressions on the politician's face are sooo realistic that I started to believe this wasn't a planned skit.

Maybe it wasn't.

Koppel, a venerable holdout from the era of the three-network system, stands up for the beleaguered notion of an objective truth that journalists can wrest from politicians, protect from satirists, and bring to the American public. Stewart, on the other hand, finds it "dispiriting" that broadcast news has become complicit with the pre-spun narratives coming from both left and right: "It's Coke and Pepsi talking about beverage truth." And yet Koppel is far from na•ve Š he quickly concedes that the convention-as-product-launch concept is "one I'd like to steal sometime" Š and Stewart is no jaded Gen-X cynic. At one point, he even encourages Koppel to use the bully pulpit of Nightline to speak truth to power: "You can say, 'That's B.S.' You don't need humor, because you have what I wish I had, which is credibility and gravitas."

Wednesday night's discussion came to an abrupt end when Stewart, who was clearly ready to go on talking, was told by a polite but brusque Koppel, "You're finished.

Yep, that was definitely an abrupt ending. Stewart scored his points with me, that's for sure. I've never heard anything quite that bluntly laid out in a network news interview for as long as I can remember. I think Stewart very deliberately meant to deliver the message that while he doesn't consider his show news, he's appalled that folks like Koppel (who do have the credibility to challenge the Coke/Pepsi BS spinning) have been less than ideal stewards of the news.

Can you imagine Chet Huntley, David Brinkley, or Walter Cronkite listening to the drivel these spinners serve up? They'd be on it like white on rice. And I suspect that our current top-level news anchors would do anything for the amount of journalistic freedom and independence of that era.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    And I suspect that our current top-level news anchors would do anything for the amount of journalistic freedom and independence of that era.

But I wonder where the line is for a guy like Koppel. Even if he were to go against his sponsors or the station's sponsors, are we talking about getting killed here or just losing his job. If it were the latter, his 'name and gravitas' would be enough to get another job. Perhaps not with another corporate biggie....

Maybe that's it. Ego. Perhaps he feels he needs to be in THE SPOTLIGHT of PRIME TIME (whatever that means these days with so many channels to choos from).

I can't think of anything else that would keep a person down, minus death threats to one's self or one's family and/or good old-fashioned delusion.

Well, I think it was fascinating that when Jon Stewart did not politely drop the subject, the interveiw ended. It was very skillful on Stewart's part, because he baited Koppel, and Koppel knew he was getting painted into a corner.
    What's most interesting is that the "you're done" moment was left in. That was intentional on someone's part...we were not looking at a live cutaway. So someone thought the question deserved to be put out there, and put out there in a way that is highly unusual for Nightline. I think Koppel was complicit in it, and that he said more with his facial expressions and his choices than he could say in words.

Go Back to forum