• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Ok - stupid question here - Impusles?

Share/Bookmark

Ok - stupid question here - Impusles?

Hi All!
    Bear in mind that I am a total newbie at software based stuff - what are impulses? Do they have to deal with reverb? What software uses them?

Thanks for your patience and time in responding.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Re: Ok - stupid question here - Impusles?

Hi Jerry,

Impulses are vernacular for 'Impulse Responses', which are mathematically processed recordings of the reverbration characteristics of a given space. This could be a canyon, a room, a car interior, or a concert hall. They got their name from the technique - often firing a starter's pistol (an impulse) and recording the resulting sound over time (response).

This 'response recording' gets processed, so that it can be used with a 'convolver' - a software program capable of combining the IR with an audio signal so that the result is the audio signal appearing to be in the IR's space. This process is generally called Convolution Reverb, and there are some very good programs now for this -AltiVerb for Mac, Space Designer (Logic Pro), and others.

There are free convolvers available (try googling on 'SIR', a popular one), and many free (and some very excellent) IR's.

Trond

Thanks Trond for taking the time to reply.

I had a feeling they were something like that. I will definitely investigate these! I would love to ad that kind of enhancement to my recordings.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

I'm new to this also, but my understanding is that SIR is PC only. For those of us in Macland, do we need Altiverb to use IR's?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Sadly, SIR is indeed PC only. I don't know of any free-ware Mac convolution reverbs at this moment.

AltiVerb has been the premiere Mac convolution reverb for some time, but now there are other possibilities. Waves came out with IR-1 recently, and Logic came out with Space Designer just before that.

FWIW, here's a list of known convolution reverb processors, including a couple for Mac I had never heard of before: 'Gleetchplug Maelstrom' sure has an interesting name :-)

http://www.spiritcanyonaudio.com/convolvers.php

Trond

Quote Originally Posted by dnortana

Impulses are vernacular for 'Impulse Responses', which are mathematically processed recordings of the reverbration characteristics of a given space. This could be a canyon, a room, a car interior, or a concert hall. They got their name from the technique - often firing a starter's pistol (an impulse) and recording the resulting sound over time (response).

This 'response recording' gets processed, so that it can be used with a 'convolver' - a software program capable of combining the IR with an audio signal so that the result is the audio signal appearing to be in the IR's space. This process is generally called Convolution Reverb.
    Hi,

So what is the difference between this "Convolution Reverb" and "conventional" reverb???

Is the Ambience reverb (in GPO Studio) considered a "Convolution Reverb" ???

If not, can a "Convolution Reverb" program be used instead of Ambience, or maybe combined with Ambience ????????

NDEE

Quote Originally Posted by dnortana
    Hi Jerry,

Impulses are vernacular for 'Impulse Responses', which are mathematically processed recordings of the reverbration characteristics of a given space.
    Trond
    So, if a tree falls in the woods and there is no one there to record it is there still and 'Impulse Response"? Just kidding!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by NDEE
    Hi,

So what is the difference between this "Convolution Reverb" and "conventional" reverb???

Is the Ambience reverb (in GPO Studio) considered a "Convolution Reverb" ???

If not, can a "Convolution Reverb" program be used instead of Ambience, or maybe combined with Ambience ????????
    NDEE
    Ambience is a 'conventional' reverb. I guess you'd say that a conventional reverb is based on a mathematical simulation/calculation of a space, taking into acount the arrival/frequency content of both early and late reflections, diffusion throughout the space, absorption characteristics of walls and ceilings, etc. Keyword: a mathematical model/calculation.

The convolution technique, on the other hand, is based on the actual measurement of a real process (usually a space, although the technique can also be applied to hardware/circuits - like, say, a Lexicon 960).

A convolution reverb could be used instead of ambience, or even in conjunction with it, or vice versa - they're just two different techniques to add a sense of depth/space to music. Some pro's like to apply a small amount of reverb with an almost non-existent tail to various instruments in an orchestra, to add just a little air, and then push the final mix through a common convolution reverb to put the whole orchestra in a common space. Some people will use entirely different reverbs on different instruments - it's all just part of the art of mixing, and what result you are trying to achieve.

Some of the best original orchestral mockups on northernsounds used to be done by a guy named Thomas J - he always claimed he just used the reverb in his SoundBlaster card. So obviously, you can get great results without getting exotic - if the writing, orchestration and mixing are good.

Trond

I've been trying out SIR with some impulses from NoiseVault, and they sound fantastic!
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Thanks dnortana for the info .

The combination of short reverb and convolution reverb seems interesting for a GPO mix, do you know if some demos of the GPO demo page have that combination?

Shazbot, thanks for the links!

NDEE

Go Back to forum