• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: August already.... anyone seen Giga 3?

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy August already.... anyone seen Giga 3?

Hmmmmm..... (shipping by the end of July) tick, tock, tick, tock..... August 1st already? I guess they're still working the bugs out of it.

Wink Re: August already.... anyone seen Giga 3?

They had to manufacture special packaging with flame-retardant material to survive the onslought from the discussion groups...

Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: August already.... anyone seen Giga 3?

That won't happen.

The moment users get into GigaPulse, and figure out how the routing works (uncomplicated, but daunting until you read the manual and understand what you're looking at), and start hearing what it makes their existing libraries sound like (never mind the new ones) people are going to be doing nothing but raving.

andyt

So Bruce ... have you been part of the beta Testing ?

Can you say so now ?

I'm really tight for money right now, and was wondering whether to upgrade from my paltry Giga32 to Solo or Ensemble to save a bit of money.

I was thinking that with the VST capability I could use SIR for my reverb convolution and forego GigaPulse.

How would you say they compare ?

Thanks Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by andyt
    So Bruce ... have you been part of the beta Testing ?

Can you say so now ?

I'm really tight for money right now, and was wondering whether to upgrade from my paltry Giga32 to Solo or Ensemble to save a bit of money.

I was thinking that with the VST capability I could use SIR for my reverb convolution and forego GigaPulse.

How would you say they compare ?

Thanks Bruce.
    If I were a part of their beta testing, I couldn't say.

I'd get Orchestra if it is possible in any way (provided you've got the basic CPU power to run it). There is no comparison at all between SIR and GigaPulse. The impulse content and the microphone content are worth the price. A "room" in SIR is one impulse. A "room" in GigaPulse is typically 16-18 positional impulses x 7 mic channels with full modeling of microphone and curve/pattern for front, mid, rear, and center channels--all routable to stereo or discrete surround.

Plus, with Orchestra, you are going to get a substantial sample library that you couldn't buy for many times over the price.

I would certainly investigate all options by which you could upgrade to Orchestra most economically.

Another thing to consider is that with the full Orchestra package, you have much more flexibility to deconstruct and downsample the content. Say your machine is in the 1.8-2.0 GHz capability. You won't be running super-resolution 24-bit libraries with multiple instances of GigaPulse. But, you can quickly downsample to 16-bit accelerated versions in the editor, and buy yourself some CPU power that WILL allow you to use more of the GigaPulse/VST capability.

I'm not really revealing things which are not already public knowledge. I'm just putting them into perspective. GS-3 is a pretty darn big deal for people who have pre-existing libraries. It is like getting a substantial upgrade for everything you've purchased to date. So I would say that if I had a choice of perhaps allocating some cash towards GS-3, and perhaps putting off a library purchase, then I would put the money on Orchestra.

andyt

Thanks Bruce.
    I have a reasonably powerful 3Ghz machine, so running gigapulse shouldn't present a problem.

The free libraries are not really tempting me at the moment ... since I don't know what they are except the VSL ... and as I really feel my pallette is really adequate right now (GOLD, GOS, DD, SAM) so priority is to get some decent polyphony and rewire.

The big factor for me between the ensemble and orchesatral versions is GigaPulse Pro ... I have a lot of dry libraries (Dan Dean etc.) that I feel are under-used .. I think I read a posting by Worra that his Studio88 (a maljsmo) came stunningly to life when played through the new Giga Piano Impulse. I was wondering whether GigaPulse is generally going to breath new life into my other libraires (dan dean, GOS, VSL solo strings) ..

or do I have too high expectations for it ?

Those expectations are pretty realistic, regarding the increased use of your underutilized libraries.

Dan's libraries are actually a perfect example, as are anything from VSL.

In particular, for the trumpet (Vizzutti's razor-edged Monette) you can subtract out a small diaphragm condenser (like a KM84, for instance) and substitute a Coles 4038, and warm up the sound a lot. You can essentially re-mic a performance in as much as the filtering and positional impulses allow. There's a perspective control which allows you to run 100% wet, but instead change the envelope of the impulse. This is much like the IR-1, except more continuously, and I think slightly more easily variable.

With a 3 GHz machine, you'll be in hog heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    In particular, for the trumpet (Vizzutti's razor-edged Monette) you can subtract out a small diaphragm condenser (like a KM84, for instance) and substitute a Coles 4038, and warm up the sound a lot. You can essentially re-mic a performance in as much as the filtering and positional impulses allow.

Re-mic? I will wait anxiously to hear. The thing that bugs me with these filters/impulses is that I can always sculpt better with the right eq or compressor and preserve the size and depth of the source. (Unless your talking reverb of course)

I'm sure it will will be helpful in some ways....but current state of modelling of preamps/mics/compressors still lacks for me. The Antare's mic plug was a joke. And I just had the Liquid Channel in the studio for a week....it was a nice preamp on certain things but it did not come close to many of the preamps it was trying to emulate.

That said...I just tried an AEA R84 on brass the other day and was blown away. I'm gonna have to shoot it out with the Coles real soon.

Cool Re: August already.... anyone seen Giga 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Perry
    I'm sure it will will be helpful in some ways....but current state of modelling of preamps/mics/compressors still lacks for me.
    I agree - there's a dynamic response that's inherent in good equipment that you can't get by taking a single impulse. It's like taking a sample of an instrument at one note/one dynamic level. We all know how un-musical that result is... impulse modeling will need to grow in sophistication to include a lot of non-linear interpolation in order to get the "magic squeeze" you get from the real thing.

I think in 2005 we'll see some exciting things - but my guess is that it will take a dual-proc 64-bit platform to realize the full potential.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Talking Re: August already.... anyone seen Giga 3?

Ouch! Dual processors? 64 Bit? Don't tell me that Houston!

Go Back to forum