• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone want a VNC tutorial?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone want a VNC tutorial?

Hey all,

Just setup up my Powerbook/XP system using VNC (an open source remote control protocol) allowin gme to control my XP machine via a window on my powerbook. This means that the powerbook can now span across two displays (Cubase arrange screen on 17" is way better than 12"!) whilst still having full control over the PC. Hurrah.

To do this required setting up a simple ethernet connection between the two machines and installing the VNC software - I'm happy to post a tutorial if anyone out there would find this useful.

Andy
    http://www.audiopHoBic.com
    Soundtracks for Theatre, Dance & Film

Re: Anyone want a VNC tutorial?

By all means, tell us how to do it! (and if you know how, while you're at it, can you explain how to make file sharing work on a TCP/IP network on a G4? I get the windows computers to share, but the Mac won't show up for some reason or other. I have file sharing turned on on the Mac, of course, but nothing shows up on the windows machines? )

As it stands now, I run DP on a G4, and GPO via V-Stack on a PC. I have a monitor switcher (KVM switcher), but two separate mice and keyboards. This VNC solution would seem to solve the problem of needing dual mice/keyboards?

Thanks,
    Trond

Quote Originally Posted by dnortana
    By all means, tell us how to do it! (and if you know how, while you're at it, can you explain how to make file sharing work on a TCP/IP network on a G4? I get the windows computers to share, but the Mac won't show up for some reason or other. I have file sharing turned on on the Mac, of course, but nothing shows up on the windows machines? )
    In the Sharing preference pane, turn on Windows File Sharing. The pane will list an address at the bottom, which you can enter into the "connect to..." thingy in Windows...If you get VNC working, you can just copy and paste the adress! I actually find it just as easy to use a USB flash memory stick...formatted for Windows, Mac has no problem accessing it. I also share my internet connection (airport) with the PC via Ethernet.

I've found that VNCThing is the fastest, most stable Mac client for me:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/mo.../9261&vid=6708

I think my PC VNC server software is:

http://www.realvnc.com/winvnc.html

I also discovered just tonight, there is now a cross-platform MIDI-over-LAN solution from www.musiclab.com. I downloaded and tested the demo (restricted to 1 port/16 channels, 14 day time limit) with about 10 GPO instruments on the PC...worked great, timing seemed pretty solid. This was WITH VNC running simultaneously! Imagine, not only eliminate the monitor and keyboard, but also the MIDI interfaces and cables!!

Brian

OK I'll get on it ASAP and get back to you all.

I've just downloaded the cross-platform mdi-over-lan as well and will test soon. Now all we need to FX-Teleport for MAC as well as PC and life will be sweeeeeet (as Cartman would put it)

Cheers!

Andy
    http://www.audiopHoBic.com
    Soundtracks for Theatre, Dance & Film

The cross platform MOL demo worked great for me, too - but lost communication after a while, for some reason or other. I had to re-configure the connection on the PC. I do wonder how the full version will handle say 30 tracks of instruments with dense cc data streams, like we use with GPO.

The cross platform FX-Teleport is due out 3rd quarter, maybe 4th, according to the FX-MAX people. It handles both midi AND audio - on the surface, it would seem to make MOL completely unnecessary.

Trond

Go Back to forum