• Register
  • Help

Topic: Concerto for guitar in Em and other related keys

Share/Bookmark

Concerto for guitar in Em and other related keys

Here is the results for my hard work for this Sunday.

Concerto for guitar in Em and other related keys

Done entirely with GPO and accoustic guitars (some limited percussion samples added)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/sepheritohmusic.htm

Maximum critisism and advice would be welcome.

Re: Concerto for guitar in Em and other related keys

Sepherito-

A passing grade for effort on composition, orchestration, guitar work, but the guitar is occupying a different acoustical space than the orchestra. It's like hearing the orchestra on stage while the guy in the seat next to you is playing classical guitar! I dunno, maybe that's what you intended. You can generally move the instrument back in the space by applying appropriate reverb. Also, I found the panning of the guitar a bit disconcerting, but that's a matter of taste.

Anyway, overall a good effort.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by carlmsmith
    Sepherito-

A passing grade for effort on composition, orchestration, guitar work, but the guitar is occupying a different acoustical space than the orchestra. It's like hearing the orchestra on stage while the guy in the seat next to you is playing classical guitar! I dunno, maybe that's what you intended. You can generally move the instrument back in the space by applying appropriate reverb. Also, I found the panning of the guitar a bit disconcerting, but that's a matter of taste.

Anyway, overall a good effort.
    Carl
    Thanks Carl. That is really the kind of critism I value. I will definitely keep that in mind when remixing the track. I will play around with a few other kinds of reverbs because it was not really intended to be so obviously out of place.

Thanks for the passing grades. Appreciated.

I have now updated the track. I changed the panning and added reverb on the guitar (Lexicon Pantheon in Sonar).

Not sure if I did a better job or not. Hope so.

Replaced the song at the original link above.

Very nice Seph....only a matter of time before Gary brings out his classical guitar add on....much better than the real thing!!! Only kidding!

Frank

Hey Seph- Much improved, I give it a whole letter grade higher. Now, wanna make the honor roll? I notice you use Sonar. Generally I'll record the live instrument at least twice, and substitute for small clinkers (actually you have very few) to make the final track. Did you do that?

Nice tone on your guitar. You know, the more distractions you have removed (panning, acoustic space problem, etc.) the easier it is for the listener to hear the beautiful composition. Nice going!

Carl

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

I would love to get the classical guitar add-on. It is always great to get some extra help.

It is a goos idea to rerecord the guitar parts. The original recording was about 5 minutes. I had to cut it shorter when I took out the really bad parts (playing wrong notes or leaving too obvious string clicks). Thanks for the compliments on the tone. It was really not much of a trick. I simply recorded with the peizo pickup and a cheap shure C607 mic and applied a bit of eq. I have spend much more time on programming the orchestration with GPO than recording the guitars (still a learner with GPO).

Go Back to forum