• Register
  • Help

Topic: How will gigapulse compare to WavesIR1?

Share/Bookmark

Red face How will gigapulse compare to WavesIR1?

Now I have Waves IR1 and I'm wondering how does gigapulse compare with that? The only thing that really interests me is the mic modeling... I have an el-cheapo mic (can you say blue light special?) and I'm wondering/hoping maybe that the mic modeling might be a good addition. I do such little recording with a mic that I can't justify buying a new and better one. I know you beta testers are hush hush but can anyone tell me something?

Re: How will gigapulse compare to WavesIR1?

I saw/heard GS3/GPulse at NAB in April. As I recall, you can add mic modeling, and you can also "de-model" your existing mic.

Let's say you record with an AT4033. You want it to sound like a U87. You would use the AT4033 model as an inverse - to undo the character of the 4033. You would then apply the U87 model. And you can do these at the same time, in series.

The problem with El Cheapo is that they might not have a model for it, so you can't undo it. The result would be an El Cheapo and a U87 combined. It may sound cool, but you'll still be left with the sound of your existing mic.l

-Jon Fairhurst

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

GigaPulse is as nice-sounding as IR-1, and seems every bit as pristine and precise. IR-1 has more ways to alter the impulse itself. GigaPulse has numerous more ways to combine impulses from different mic and stage positions--plus the microphone deconvolution/convolution engine. There are also non-microphone impulses (exciters, cabinets, etc.) in the mic modeler, so you can stack two non-mic sources. You can also choose to layer a mic onto your signal without first deconvolving the source mic. And you can put different mics on each of the different recording positions, and delay them differently to affect the way the virtual room's "walls" image.

It's a very impressive piece of work. Deceptively simplistic control set, but once you've gotten familiar with what's there, you begin to realize how infinitely variable each "room" really is. There are probably millions of conceivable results available from each "room." In that way, it's far beyond IR-1. You'd have to combine four IR-1s across different busses to emulate GigaPulse, and you still wouldn't have all the discrete positional impulses.

Bruce Richardson

Thanks for this little review. I am highly interested in Gigastudio 3 and it looks like I would have to get the Orchestra package.

I have a few questions that I hope can be addressed. This Gigapulse technology if I had some seperate audio tracks, let say in Cubase. Could I route this Gigapulse through these audio tracks or is Gigapulse that comes with Orchestra only be able to supply reverb/mic positioning for actual giga samples only and not audio tracks? I think this might be where Waves IR1 still wins as its not limited to and actual sampler?

I would really like to be able to use the reverbs impulses not just on samples but on my actual audio recordings. Can this be done with Giga 3?

Second will Giga 3 be able to work with let say a Sequencer and other VST instruments on one system. For instance could I run Atmosphere or Stromdrum while running Giga3?(This is assuming I will be doing a lot of bouncing.)

I would appreciate your input especially on the Gigapulse, as I cannot envision if it will work with other audio trakcs running in Cubase.

Thanks

Caveman

Thanks Jon and Bruce! I knew nothing about the deconvolution of the mic model. That is really cool. Wow, Gigapulse sounds extremely complex. I hope the UI is easy to grasp and understand. Should I or shouldn't I get it. I guess I'd like to hear some of these guys use gigapulse in a demo. When ya get GS3 ya guys betters throw some demos up!

Caveman,

Orchestra lets you apply GigaPulse to non GigaStudio sounds in real-time. I think it requires a GSIF-2 soundcard for external sounds, but I'm not 100% sure.

I don't know if it will work side-by-side with VSTis. I had no luck with GPO and GS 2.5. I had the feeling that the soundcard driver didn't like the combination. Maybe GS3 and a different soundcard would work. Who knows?

-Jon Fairhurst

Quote Originally Posted by joshj
    I hope the UI is easy to grasp and understand.
    I saw it at NAB 2004. The UI will fall to hand for Giga users. And it sounded fantastic on Scarbee Imperial Drums.

-Jon Fairhurst

Quote Originally Posted by caveman

Thanks for this little review. I am highly interested in Gigastudio 3 and it looks like I would have to get the Orchestra package.

I have a few questions that I hope can be addressed. This Gigapulse technology if I had some seperate audio tracks, let say in Cubase. Could I route this Gigapulse through these audio tracks or is Gigapulse that comes with Orchestra only be able to supply reverb/mic positioning for actual giga samples only and not audio tracks? I think this might be where Waves IR1 still wins as its not limited to and actual sampler?

I would really like to be able to use the reverbs impulses not just on samples but on my actual audio recordings. Can this be done with Giga 3?

Second will Giga 3 be able to work with let say a Sequencer and other VST instruments on one system. For instance could I run Atmosphere or Stromdrum while running Giga3?(This is assuming I will be doing a lot of bouncing.)

Thanks

Caveman
    Hey, Caveman,
    I think this will put your heart somewhat at ease ....

(BTW, I think TASCAM should hire Bruce) ....

This is from http://www.fx-max.com.
    There are some other interesting "toys" there as well ....

GIGA VST ADAPTER
    Giga VST Adapter is a tool allowing to use Giga Studio within any VST compatible host application (Cubase, Nuendo, SONAR, Logic, etc.) as a conventional VST instrument.

Features:
    # Seamless Giga Studio 2.54 or 3 integration into any VST 2 host
    # No GSIF-compatible hardware is required
    # Up to 128 MIDI channels for Giga Studio 3 or 64 MIDI channels for Giga Studio 2.54 (on all hosts except Logic)
    # Up to 32 audio outputs
    # Up to 192 KHz sample rates support
    # 16, 24 and 32-bit depth support
    # MIDI layering
    # Support of external performance tool(s)
    # Full FX Teleport integration (version 1.03 and higher)

There are two versions available....GigaVST and GigaTeleport. The Teleport version allows you to VST it from a completely different machine!

I still don't understand the concept of gigapulse, is it a vst? How exactly does it work supposed I want to insert gigapulse as an effect on an Audio track.

Is there a difference between gigapulse standalone and the one that comes with the big Gigastudio3?

Quote Originally Posted by panzerD
    I still don't understand the concept of gigapulse, is it a vst? How exactly does it work supposed I want to insert gigapulse as an effect on an Audio track.

Is there a difference between gigapulse standalone and the one that comes with the big Gigastudio3?
    My understanding is, that it will just "show up" on the list of possible effects in your sequencer, the way that the Waves plugins do.

I don't think there is a "stand alone version" per se, but you seem to be able to use it on other samples outside GIGA(?). Experts, jump in please ....
    Bruce?!

This quote is from the TASCAM page ....
    GigaPulse TM is an exciting new component of GigaStudio 3. GigaPulse employs convolution to create incredibly realistic reverb, mic modeling and instrument resonance simulation. Convolution uses an actual recording as the basis for signal processing, essentially sampling the sound of a room. For example, the sound of a concert hall is recorded with a set of unique tones. This "impulse" recording can then be imported into GigaPulse Pro (the encoding processor included with GS3 Orchestra) where our concert hall impulse can be included/encoded into a sampled instrument or .gig file. When this instrument is loaded into GS3, now embedded with convolution, GigaPulse SP (the convolution player included with all version of GS3) reveals itself. Your instrument loads with the GigaPulse SP effect automatically inserted. The result sounds like you're playing in that hall.

GigaPulse Pro can also be used as a stand-alone NFX plug-in on your own sample libraries. Use the new piano resonance model included with GigaPiano II on your favorite piano library, or use GigaPulse's surround reverb on your GigaStudio instruments.

TASCAM's new GigaPulse technology takes real-time convolution to the next level. With realtime surround Acoustic Space Modeling, our proprietary technology goes far beyond any other convolution-based plug-in. The location of the performer in an acoustic space can be specifically located in the room, and the perspective of the mic can be changed for close-micing simulation. Mic modeling is also included, with included impulses of the finest microphones ever made. GigaPulse has unlimited microphone locations, compared to the two channels most other convolution effects processors, which is ideal for simulating Decca-Tree mic techniques and mixing in 7.1 surround. All of these features are included in the GigaPulse SP engine in every version of GigaStudio, so that libraries encoded with GigaPulse impulses will play back in every version of GigaStudio 3.

Hope this helps ....

Go Back to forum