• Register
  • Help

Topic: New orchestration

New orchestration

La Tarde Está Amorosa (How Charming the Evening!) 3.4Mb, playing time 1’46”

This is an orchestration I recently completed. The music is Ig~~~~o Cervantes’ La Tarde Está Amorosa (roughly translated as “How Charming the Evening!”, though my friend from the Dominican Republic prefers "How Lovely the Evening!"). This is from a collection of “Cuban Dances” written by Cervantes for solo piano. I heard the piano version on the radio one day and was struck by the delightful, delicate composition Cervantes had created. I know absolutely nothing about Cervantes except that he was apparently Cuban and lived from 1847 to 1905.

A rather modest orchestra was employed, hopefully keeping in character with the music. The scoring is 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 2 bassoons, 4 horns, harp, and strings. The form of the piece is A-A-B, with the B section (the especially charming part) scored at first with strings con sordino. As far as I know, this piece had never been orchestrated until now. If anyone is interested, I could probably mock up the piano version for comparison without too much effort.

Thanks for the tools, Gary!

Re: New orchestration

Wow! this is very well done!
    Although I have no comparison, your choices for instrumentation matched the color of the phrases very very well.

What did you use? (as far as sequencing)

Thanks for sharing!!

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the feedback. This was peformed with notation program Overture SE v3.6.0 driving GPO Studio v1.2

Orcas Island

Just tried the link but received the following: "The page you are looking for cannot be found on our server." Would you mind emailing the mp3?

Gary Garritan

Sorry Gary, I was in the process of re-uploading the file to fix a tiny glitch I noticed. Try it again and P.M. me if you still can't get it to download.

Well done. I must say that this was quite a pleasant surprise to find at 4:00 am. :-)

For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

really cool Darwin

UK- teeming with life....

Isn't it sad.....I hadn't even heard of Cervantes..... Mind you!!!!......Neither had I heard of Clementi until my music teacher enlightened me during my belated (2nd time around.......) music lessons!! (also to the fact that one of the 60's great hits was taken from one of his pieces).

There has been so much lost music and composers.

This is a lovely piece that I wouldn't have heard but for you.....there are some lovely chords around the 1minute and I love the following parts too.....

Thanks for this....such a lost romantic and beautiful era....gone for ever......there just isn't enough bandwidth in life for all one's interests.....

Go Back to forum