• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: VSL owners who own QLSO - advice needed

Share/Bookmark

VSL owners who own QLSO - advice needed

I know there have been a lot of VSL threads lately. I did a search and didn't see one related to this question, so please pardon me if this has been asked before.

I have QLSO Gold and am thrilled by it. I would like to add another set to blend with it, mostly for some added intimacy and upfrontness. I was thinking VSL would be a great compliment. Now adding to that I will be getting Gigastudio 3 which comes with a bunch of VSL samples (mostly sustain and stac I know). So my question is which VSL would you guys suggest? Should I go with maybe First Edition Performance Set or just go with Opus? Right now I'm leaning towards Opus since it has regular articulations, some performance stuff and also percussion.

Is this the right choice or should I maybe save up for FE or Pro performance?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Re: VSL owners who own QLSO - advice needed

Go for Opus 1 (if you have more money, buy French Oboe too).
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

QLSO Gold Edition sounds fabulous. Period.

VSL First Edition is an incredible bargain, but rather steep for many budgets. I chose it over Opus One because it offers chromatic sampling of each note, more articulations, more performance instruments and offers an upgrade pathway to Pro Edition that to me is more within reach.

Conversely, Opus One is an enigma of sorts. Although it offers whole note samples which are stretched into the sharps and flats, it still delivers a relatively good sound for the money - plus you get many of the cool performance tool legato instruments. If you speak to a technician they may very well tell you that you will risk the addition of artifacts in your music especially when placing the stretched notes of Opus One in convoluted reverb halls.

Many will also say that Opus One is a compromise - even the producers will admit that and I agree with them - but then again you get a lot of bang for the buck regardless, which really is the whole idea. I suppose the choice is based on what's most important to you: accuracy without compromise, or compromise with less accuracy but attainable today with relatively good results.

Good luck in your decision.

Question Re: VSL owners who own QLSO - advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick
    QLSO Gold Edition sounds fabulous. Period.
    Not to me, oh well.

Anyhow, what struck me was this:

If you speak to a technician they may very well tell you that you will risk the addition of artifacts in your music especially when placing the stretched notes of Opus One in convoluted reverb halls.
    This, to me, sounds like crap, really. Any technician around who can confirm or deny this? I don't see why stretching notes should cause "artifacts" using convolution. What sort of "artifacts" are we talking about?

Most people don't even notice the difference between chronomatic and whole note scale sampling. Plus, whole note sampling puts less strain on your PC.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign
    Not to me, oh well.

Anyhow, what struck me was this:

This, to me, sounds like crap, really. Any technician around who can confirm or deny this? I don't see why stretching notes should cause "artifacts" using convolution. What sort of "artifacts" are we talking about?
    I agree that this is pretty much crap. Stretching notes is not that big of a deal, most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Phoenix
    I agree that this is pretty much crap. Stretching notes is not that big of a deal, most of the time.
    Especially with ewqlso silver which isn't even whole tone sampled...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

It's crap. Convolving a stretched sample will actually take some of the curse off, rather than put more on.

Such technicians need to be hung up by the ying-yang and spanked.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Phoenix
    Weeee, Nick and I agree on something. Hell must have frozen over.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    Such technicians need to be hung up by the ying-yang and spanked.
    You want to reward them?!

Go Back to forum