• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: This is not a demo !

Share/Bookmark

This is not a demo !

I don't know if it's the right forum but I didn't see any area related to composition in this forum, anyway here is the mock-up of my last piece for orchestra :

http://alexmillet.free.fr/Chicago.mp3

because the piece is lasting 24 min it's a huge download(33 mb), so I also post an excerpt for those who just want take a look before the big dive :

http://www.speakeasy.org/~sicmu/Chicago_excerpt.mp3

Any comment is welcome, but I have one question in particular :

Can you remember the main theme after one single listening ?

It's probably not the definitive version.

Thank you.

Re: This is not a demo !

I enjoyed this,

have you listened to John Williams 'American Journey' works? reminded me of that.... optimistic.

Lovely stuff.

Sharmy I guess that you have a sound engineer training and you're right : the samples librairies I use are pretty old and I'm not totally satisfied with them.
    Why are you saying that you can't remember anything upon one listening ? Only a non-musician could say that, Don't you write music?
    I personnaly only have a musician training and composition is my most important point : this is only a mock-up made only to appreciate the composition itself and I'm sick trying to improve the mix: because of the limitation of polyphony in G.studio I need to make several audio files and I 've no idea about I will sounding till the mixdown.
    This is definitely not a demo, a demo is usually a short track trying to show the features of a sound library or the skill of the composer/programmer, but when you're writing a piece of music, I mean with introduction, developpement and conclusion there is no more demo( I don't know any composer who name a piece "demo" ): only a tone poem in this case.
    I know everything of JW and this piece is written in the same spirit : light music, easy to listen and to understand.
    Thank you for listening.

Question Re: This is not a demo !

Sicmu, could you provide excerpt so the people on dial-up can listen and see if they want to wait for long time for the whole thing?

Sharmy, not everything is demo though it haven't been performed live.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

I don't understand, Falcon : I did post an excerpt, see above ! But maybe you mean that 6MB is still to big ?
    Let me know.

I have to agree with Sharmy. Excellent piece that can't be fully appreciated. It's like looking at a Monet painting in black in white... great composition but the genius resides in the colors.
    Chris Rickwood
    www.rickwoodmusic.com

Red face Re: This is not a demo !

Quote Originally Posted by Sicmu
    I don't understand, Falcon : I did post an excerpt, see above ! But maybe you mean that 6MB is still to big ?
    Let me know.
    Hehehe... sorry, didn't notice that.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Yeah, this is nice work (and long too, geeze!), but I do have a hard time remembering the theme. When a real orchestra plays this, it might bring it out more, though.

There are some strong Aaron influences in there (not that Aaron, I'm talking Copland here....geez!) and some Williamesque influences as well (once again influence by Aaron himself). This is very good in my book as I find Copland to be particularly underrated as some sort of a "boy band" in the classical composers' pantheon.

Unfortunately, you're bound to get a mixed listening from this bunch, you see, we're all so fixated in achieving believability in our orchestral simulations that detaching bad samples from a good composition is quite a challenge.

As far as your melody goes, no I can't remember it, if there was a central melody in there, it is scattered and gets lots in the rest of the arrangement.

Very good work though, keep it up!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Great writing. You're right, composition comes first. BTW, some string parts sound amazingly good. Say, what strings are we listening to here?

Go Back to forum