• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone heard from...

Share/Bookmark

Question Anyone heard from...

Ira Kramer?
    Just wondering. I haven't seen any post by him in quite some time.
    Styxx

Thumbs up Re: Anyone heard from...

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Ira Kramer?

Just wondering. I haven't seen any post by him in quite some time.
    HELLO TO ALL:

I was working here in my studio and my ears started to burn, which means someone has been talking about me , so I decided to log on to the forum and "lo and behold" my name pops up.

I have not dissappeared contrary to popular rumor, here is what I have been up to.

In May I fulfilled a 35 year quest when I acquired an Ondes Martenot. These instruments are very rare as only about 375 were ever built and there are probably less the a dozen here in the U.S. Ever since I heard the music of Messiaen I have been on the lookout for one but with no success. Finally I was able to obtain one from an estate and have spent many, many hours restoring it. It is now in great working condition and I am presently writing a piece for it. A major 3 movement piece for Ondes Martenot, Harp, Celeste and string orchestra. GPO figures very prominently in this work because all instruments except for the OM are GPO. I hope to post some snippets of the work. I haven't decided as to whether to use the cheesy Sibelius OM sound or actually play the part myself and record it with the GPO instruments. No one writes for this instrument any more so I have found a niche.

I am also working on a piece for the GPO competition and hopefully that will be done before the deadline.

If that weren't enough I have been appointed director of youth orchestras at the New Jersey Chinese Community Center here in Central N.J. I have been asked to form 2 youth orchestras (one intermediate and one advanced plus a chamber music master class) I am also going to try to establish a music lab where I can teach computer aided music and will rely on GPO to be the main sample library.

A 30 hour day would come in handy.

I do check in regularly , just haven't had the time to post or contribute, hopefully when things are less time demading, I will be able to be more active. Hope to post an excerpt of the OM work in the very near future.

Glad to know you were thinking of me

Regards
    Ira Kraemer

Re: Anyone heard from...

All right Ira! Good to hear from you Maestro! Lot doing in your life I'll say. Ya wanna buy my time share? (Never could figure out what that meant.) Anywhich, it would be a pleasure and an honor to hear snipitxzsxzz (oh whatever) of your work when finished!
    Love it, good to hear from you and good luck with the contest.
    Styxx

Ondes Martenot! That instrument has a very interesting sound!

I have so wanted to find a sample set of it, but since I am new to samples I have no clue where to look.

{Dream}
    Maybe you and Gary can get together and have a sampling session.
    {/Dream}

For those that don't know about the Ondes Martenot, it is an electronic keyboard instrument designed and built in 1928 by Maurice Martenot. His goal was to produce an electronic keyboard instrument to become a member of the orchestral family, not to be used to create a new type of music. The tone was glass like resembling a theremin. Here is an example of how it sounds. Coincidently this instrument was in the list on the recent "120 years of Electronic music" thread.

They keyboard has some unusual performance features, among them a finger-ring attached to a ribbon that could be pulled to achieve portamento and other pitch-bending effects, a lever located under the keyboard to control timbral change, and a volume controller to the left of the keyboard. The keyboard also allowed lateral movement of the keys allowing the player to have vibrato by wiggling his finger. There was also a knee lever which could be used instead freeing the left hand to join the right.

Hmm.....perhaps a model for a GPO controller

The photo below shows an Ondes Martenot.

Here is a close up of the keyboard

I am looking forward to hearing Ira's "Suite for Odes Martenot, Celest, Harp and String Orchestra".

Gary Garritan

Gary, that so awesome of you to post this historical information! Unbelievable the ideas were so far ahead of the times with this instrument. Can't wait to hear Ira's music.
    So glad I had a post with meaning this time!

Theremin - Sounds like a lunch meat or something~!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum