• Register
  • Help

Topic: Where to put my DVD Writer?

Share/Bookmark

Where to put my DVD Writer?

#1 most important thing of course is to get Giga working optimally, so I will gladly give up optimization of my 12x DVD writer, but it would be nice to oblige the nice folks at Liteon and configure my writer as the master on one of the IDE ports.

This of course would have to be the system drive.... the one with Gigastudio on it, rather than the one with my samples. But will this affect Giga performance. I'm steeped enough in this damnable tweaking Giga torture, that I know that the sample drive likes being alone on it's port, so that leaves the other port with Gigastudio on it.

Should I just forget it and let the DVD writer struggle along as the slave device, or can I take the hit on the Giga drive? I suppose this may change with GS3???

Or might I fare better if I add a 3rd port (I have a Promise ATA100 pci card)?
    Gabriel

Re: Where to put my DVD Writer?

Why don't you just put the DVD writer on the same IDE port as your OS drive? That way it doesn't conflict with Giga's performance. If you can't do that then you may lose some data transfer rate on the Giga drive that shares a port with the DVD writer.

Also, I think you can get plug-in IDE cards - that'd give you some more IDE ports.

Greg.

Some don't recommend the IDE cards, but I built a Giga computer with a Promise TX 133 card in it and it's worked great. So there is an option. Of course your mileage may vary, but we've had good luck with it so far and the polyphony has been tremendous so far.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriels
    #1 most important thing of course is to get Giga working optimally, so I will gladly give up optimization of my 12x DVD writer, but it would be nice to oblige the nice folks at Liteon and configure my writer as the master on one of the IDE ports.
    Gabriel,
    The names Master and Slave are a misleading in the IDE protocol. With IDE, Master and Slave have the exact same performance. The primary concern in determining where to put your drives, for the best performance, is this: two drives that will be accessed at the same time e.g. your OS/GS drive and your samples drive, should be on seperate IDE channels. This is because channels work independantly from each other while the Master and Slave of a channel have to wait for each other access to complete before the other can start an access. As for DVD reading/writing performance, the DVD should go on the opposite channel from the device you expect to copy from or to. As you have stated though, the OS/GS and samples drive configuration is the most important.

Well, my questions result from Liteon's specific recommendation that the DVD writer be the master on it's IDE port. Maybe it's a bogus idea. So, maybe I just need to try both master and slave configurations for the writer and see if there is any difference at all. Maybe I'll also try my Promise ATA100 card to see if that works better.

My main focus with the writer will be to make images of both my system drive and my sample drive, so performance doesn't really make a big difference to me... I can always slow the writer down, if necessary, and just give it the time to do a decent copy.
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by gabriels
    Or might I fare better if I add a 3rd port (I have a Promise ATA100 pci card)?
    Gabriel
    I suppose the other thing to consider is that with something like the asus p4c800 you can have the system drifve as master on ide0, dvd master on ide1 and the sata for the sample drive. This is what I've done, and without any real issue's. The main thing to be careful of if doing that is to keep your souncards PCI slot non shared (There is a list of which slots are shared on your motherboard manual.

Aside from the issue of simultaneous access, is there also an issue of putting devices which have differing maximum IDE speeds on the same IDE channel?
    I.e, if the DVD writer is not capable of working at the same IDE bus speed as the hard drive, does that IDE bus *always* run at the lowest common denominator speed, even when the DVD drive itself isn't being accessed? I know there are these kinds of issues with SCSI.

Btw - Gabriels - I didn't see that you were already aware of the option of installing a third IDE port, and that you actually already have that Promise IDE card, if my previous reply seemed confusing.

Greg.

Yes this is a concern. Others on the forum have had this issue. The IDE ports will run at the lowest common denominator as you put it.

That's correct, IDE/ATA/PATA busses run at the lowest of the transfer rates rregardless of which is primary/secondary etc. I am assuming that both of your both drives are PATA/IDE drives and none are SATA so that you can use a SATA controller as well (considering they are on most mobo's these days)?

Go Back to forum