• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Aase's Death: La Mort D'ase

Share/Bookmark

Aase's Death: La Mort D'ase

Well, I guess I'll be the whipping post. Here's my take on this song. Pretty straightforward from the score with no poetic justice taken other than the tempo. Any feedback would be appreciated. This was done entirely in Overture using GPO studio and Ambience. I have included the Overture file, Studio file, and the Ambiance plugin settings in a zip file for your pleasure. Note: I used voicings in Overture for ease of divisi playing so the initial look at the file is a mess.

Aase's Death: La Morte D'ase

The Files

Instrument groupings used:

Violin 1:
    Gagli 1
    Gagli 2
    Gagli 3
    Stradi 1

Violin 2:
    Guarn 1
    Guarn 2
    Guarn 3
    Stradi 2

Viola:
    Viola 1
    Viola 2

Cello:
    Cello 3 1
    Cello 3 2
    Cello 3 3

Doublebass solo

Go easy guys, I'm still a newbie.

Re: Aase's Death: La Mort D'ase

Cool stuff Joseph - sounds fantastic for a notation piece!

Keep working with it - its like any new instrument - th emore you practice, yadda yadda yadda...

I know this is all new to you and that you've only been woring with music since you bought GPO - but man, keep up the good work!
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Hey Joseph!

This is great! I was gonna try this same approach! I gotta go back to the drawing board and get my creative thinking cap on.

Thanks.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Thumbs up Re: Aase's Death: La Mort D'ase

Ah you found the problem and fixed it quite nicely. Was it the measure I had questioned and in the same voice or something else? This was quite an accomplishment and my hat's off to you for doing a fine job in Overture. I can't even get the first system in without frustrating myself with Overture.
    The only two place I would give a little more attention to is in the last system near the end and to bring out the lower voices a bit more. I believe there is a marking "decr" in the score and if memory serves me correctly, it means to "decrease" in tempo leading up to the final chord(s). Bringing out the cello and bass will give more contrast and color and support the upper voices. Ira or someone else may correct me on this or agree.
    Otherwise, wonderful job.
    Styxx

Yes, I found them there and a few other places. You have great ears. I will get to work on the improvements as soon as I get home and repost. It has been a pleasure working with this piece. Thanks for all your help as well and for putting me on to this fine score. You're a fine critic. Thanks Alan and Jerry. Please post a version when you're ready Jerry, I'd love to hear what you do with it.

Alan's right. Brilliant effort especially for a scoring sequencer. GPO seems to relish in this!

Frank

Okay guys. I'm working on the changes Styxx mentioned. Does anyone have any other recommendations before I repost?

Bring up the cellos and doublebass: Done
    Tempo changes at end of piece: Done
    Minor adjustments and making good: Done

Updated:

I have updated the link with the changes suggested by Styxx. Here it is again. I thought I better post it now because Nicole's is gonna whoop mine.

Aase's Death (5.86 MB dl)

Enjoy.

Edited: Nicole's wins. I have been shamed, my manhood no longer sacrosanct. This paper bag over my head shall have new meaning from this point forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Updated:

I have updated the link with the changes suggested by Styxx. Here it is again. I thought I better post it now because Nicole's is gonna whoop mine.

Aase's Death (5.86 MB dl)

Enjoy.

Edited: Nicole's wins. I have been shamed, my manhood no longer sacrosanct. This paper bag over my head shall have new meaning from this point forward.
    I dont think so Joseph. I think your doing a really good job and you should keep going at it. I felt my rendition at the FF part sounded really awkward so I removed it to rethink that and it will probably be a while before I decide to fix that. Keep going at it and dont rush anything. Trust me the more time you spend with it, the better it gets. Just compared to the first one you did was a big difference. Keep it up
    Nicole Davis

Don't be modest, you rock! I would have loved to do more dynamic tweaking, but this very difficult in Overture. And I was commanded to do this in Overture by my mentor. I would love to see some type of mod wheel editing capability in Overture SE, but I guess I'll be saving quarters for the full version for this purpose (that is if it includes it.) Thanks for the vote of confidence, though. You still win by default.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast