• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: How Many Mac Users?

How Many Mac Users?

Hi All,
    This may have already been asked - I know I saw one about what sequencers people used, but....

Just curious how many Mac users are using the GPO?
    I was just curious since it seems there are mostly PC users here.
    Nothing wrong with that, obviously, since such good music is being produced here on a regular basis.

If you are a Mac user, could you include your current setup as far as what you use?

Thanks for responding!!

MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Re: How Many Mac Users?

I guess I shold include MY stuff as well!! ha ha

I currently run GPO on two machines. neither of which really meets the recommended hardware requirements!

I have an Apple iMac G4 1ghz 768 MB Ram (soon to be 1gb)
    I use Finale 2004 and Cubase SX with teh GPO studio (And an app called "Wiretap" that captures the audio to disk) I use OS X (10.2.8)

Also running the same apps above on a Titanium Powerbook G4 667 mhz 512 mb ram (soon will be 1 gb)
    I use the laptop when working at the hotel at night - and use the iMac for most of the heavy lifting during the day.
    I also use an older G3 Powermac (300mhz - 198 mb Ram) runnning OS 9 for use with some older favorite audio software. I use ProTools Free (for mixing), SonicWorx for some reverb effects (rarely use either of these much any more now that I have been learning Cubase SX).
    I have found that if I want to use Cubase or Finale with more than a few GPO Studio instruments, I have to reduce sample rate and increase the buffer size.

What are some other solutions you all have come up with using the GPO on less than race-car computers?

MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Mac G4 Gual 1 GHz, OSX 10.3.4 and OS 9.2.2, and
    Mac G3 B&W 500 MHz (OS 9.2.2) dedicated to the Oasys synth card.

Digital Performer 4.12, Cubase SX2, Logic Pro 6, Garage Band
    (plus GPO, Kontakt, Atmosphere, B4, Stylus and a bunch of audio DSP plugins like AltiVerb, PSP Vintage Warmer, etc ...)

MOTU audio and midi hardware, 48 lightpipe channels audio

I also use a GigaStudio/GPO studio PC, as well as a Toshiba P IV 2.8 GHz laptop with Ozone mini-keyboard for the road (Cubase SX2).

NW Illinois

I use a G4 Powerbook, 550 mhz, 1 gig ram, OSX 10.2.6 & Pro Tools LE 6.1.
    When I run out of cpu power for additional voices, I bus those tracks to audio tracks and start over. Not perfect, but it'll do until they come out with a G5 Powerbook.

1)Dual-800 G4, Mac OS 10.3.4 & 9.22, 1.5 GB RAM, UAD-1 card, DP4.12 is my main sequencer but I'm dabbling with Logic and Live 4, don't have GPO installed on this machine, it triggers sounds on:
    2)P4 2.6 GB Shuttle XPC, 1.5 GB RAM, Win XP Pro, Steinberg VSL2020, V-Stack is my GPO host.
    3)P3 733, Win 98, 512MB RAM, hosts a Korg Oasys card, barely use it these days.

PowerBook G4 Aluminum 1GHz 2GB RAM, GPO/DP4/Live4/lots'o'NI synths/Stylus/Reason, etc.

At home, the PowerBook gets integrated into the rig as well for extra sample voices or synths, audio interfaces for the two macs are Metric Halo Mobile I/Os, a 2882+DSP and a ULN-2, which can be switched around or combined depending on what I'm doing. PC audio is piped into MIO 2882's ADAT input.

G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
    1.25 Gig ram
    OSX 10.3.4
    Logic Pro 6

I would not trade my Macs for any PC no matter how fast people say it is.
    Aaron Clark, C/C++, J2EE, Flash, Perl and PHP programming.
    Logic Pro 7.0.1, G5 1800x2, 3 Gig ram, GPO and GOS lite.
    My site: http://www.clarkaudio.com
    Where I work now: http://www.blinex.com/

G4 1.25GDP 2G ram 40Gb+250HD, 10.2.8, Logic Pro 6.4.1
    AMT8, Audiowerk2

Amateur, real & virtual. Started with Notator (84?) to Opcode Vision to Logic Pro (by far the best, most elaborate, it drives me crazy [accidentally hit a key, any key-- trouble]). Current file using 34 tracks (EXS, GPO and Roland, Korg, Emu outboards). Apparently no latency from any instrument via the AMT8. Rock solid. And then it crashes. But no complaints, it's all a wonder to me.

Talking Re: How Many Mac Users?

Dual 1.25 G4 with 1.25GB ram, OS10.2.8 80GB and 120GB internal and 120GB FW. I use Digital Performer 4.12 and Logic 6.4. I also R-BUS to a Roland VS2480 that I use for audio and can fly tracks back and forth.

I have dual 1.25 G4 and it works great with both OSX and GPO. I also run DP4 and Logic6(sometimes), Finale and sibelius.. They all work great on the Mac. I also have a 2.5Ghz pc that I use for a lot of stuff and sometimes I will use that PC as my GPO playback machine while I sequence from the mac. But I have found more often than not I don't really need to do that, I can do it all from the Mac.

The only downside of the mac I could possibly think of for GPO would be *IF* GPO comes out with Gigastudio3 version that has enhanced capabilities..in which case you would need a PC to utilize that. But that's a big IF. Otherwise, Mac does it all...and OSX totally rocks. Over time, I have thought about letting my PC's just age gracefully and going 100% mac...its so much sweeter in general to work with..
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Mac G4 1.4 Ghz
    1 GB Ram
    Cubase SX2
    Finale 2004

(I also use EWQLSO Silver)

Go Back to forum