• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: COnsidering purchasing GPO

Share/Bookmark

COnsidering purchasing GPO

I am seriously considering purchasing GPO. A few things I want to look at as research are

A: Is there an instrument list somewhere with descriptions? I found the list on the Garritan site, but it says things like "9 solo violins for ensembles." What in the world does that mean? Is it a solo violin or an emsemble? If so, how big it the emsemble. (Some do say "12 violins" etc.) I just want to know Trumpet 1 - Bright, Trumpet 2 - Dark, Viola Ensemble 2 - three violas w/heavy rosin or whatever. What makes a Duo 1 piano different from a Duo 2 piano? A list somewhere that explains that would be nice. I have just gotten too many samples CDs where they have a list a mile long of sounds and it is really 2 sounds tweaked differently.

B: Does the manual exist online? I find manuals are handy to page through before purchase just to find potential limitations that the ad lit doesn't necessarily mention. (That and am I getting in over my head.) And there are some features that I need to have described. What does it mean to be able to save ensembles? Does this just layer a bunch of instruments together so you can create a "Full String" patch out of multiple string sections for example? Or essentially is it just like a snap shot on a digital mixer?

Thanks for any input.

Re: COnsidering purchasing GPO

There are 3 "solo" violins, each of which has 3 "ensemble" derived from them. The solo violins are chromatically sampled, whereas each of the ensemble instruments take every third pitch from the solo instrument and stretch them. This way, each "ensemble" violin has a unique sample set compared to the others. They are designed to be combined to create the impression of smaller string sections, like a 3 player section instead of a full 12 player section.

The same principle applies to the Duo Piano instruments. Both are derived from the same full sample set, but only use every second note.

I think "saving ensembles" just means that you can load any instruments you want into the GPO player, then save that as a preset.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Are ensemble instruments "aware" of one another? So I want a small violin section of 4 violins, I would load Solo strad violin for ensemble 1, 2, 3, and 1 again and would the two instances of 1 know about one another so as to not sound perfect and phasey? In the product lit it talks about how the instruments interact, I don't know if that is what they mean. No manual on line? I'll keep you guys busy for a week with questions. It boggles my little monkey mind that this software can do what the product lit describes without a bunch of "Well, what that really means is....." I am sold easily (aka sucker )and don't want to get high expectations and then be disappointed. I mean, I am here becuase of Gary's reputation, so don't think I am being disparraging. I just want to know what I am getting into. Too bad you can't test drive software like you can a guitar or car.

EDIT: Another question, can you control vibrato on instruments? If the mod wheel is doing the job of CC11 Expression, is there another controller for vibrato? Or is this part of the patch's intelligence based on the tempo sent from MIDI somehow? You play a whole note and roughly 1/3 of the way through the measure the vibrato starts slowly or something like that? And what does a horn for overlays mean? Oh, I hope there is a manual online or I am afraid I'l drive you poor fellers nuts with questions.

Are the ensembles aware of each other?

I'm not sure what you mean. Here is a step by step of the process involved in using the ensemble patches:

Load the three Gagli Violin Ensemble patches into the Kontakt player, assign each of them independent midi channels for precise control over each instrument. In Cubase or sequencer of choice create three midi tracks with each sending data to the three Gagli patches in the Kontakt player. Say for instance that you want to play a scale with these patches in unison. Enter you note data in the sequnencer on each track or you can copy and paste the note data into the three tracks. For added realism, adjust each note differently in each midi track so that each instruments notes are slightly different. Then adjust velocity and mod wheel data in each of the three tracks. You want them to vary between instruments for realism. If you want legato enter in Sustain Pedal controller information into the tracks. Hit play. You have three violins playing a unison scale line. There is no phasing due to the instruments programming. Each instrument, while being derived from the Solo Gagli Violin included in GPO, sounds different enough to prevent phasing issues.

This process would be the same for all 9 ensemble violins, and the other ensemble instruments in GPO. I used this same process in my recent demo. Check out the Aase's Death demo for a feel for what I'm talking about.

There is an instrument list available on Gary's website and some more information about the programming available in the FAQ section

Also: You would only load the three ensemble instruments, not with the solo they are derived from. If you load the solo they are derived from you will encounter phasing.

You cannot control vibrato. I have noticed that by adjusting the mod wheel the timbre changes affect how much vibrato there is, or at least it seems that way to my inexperienced ears.

The brass overlays are for added omph. Currently there is no online manual, but with Gary's consent I could scan it.

The proof is in the pudding. Listen to the demos on Gary's site. My personal favorite is the Mozart clarinet concerto, there are many other absolutely first rate productions there, too. There are examples of using section strings, ensemble building using solo instruments, and a huge variety of styles. The library is almost worth it for the piano alone, or the organ alone - it truly is a no-brainer purchase, the best $250 musical investment you will ever have made.

For me, the beauty of GPO is its consistent programming and ease of use, while at the same timne being capable of superb sound. No need any more to have 4 computers networked and loaded with templates of every possible articulation you might use. It is so good, I hardly ever revert to the other (much larger and much more expensive) sample libraries any more. Cobwebs are gathering on my GigaStudio disk drives.

Trond

Thumbs up Re: COnsidering purchasing GPO

I am seriously considering purchasing GPO.
    Then get serious and purchase GPO you will not regret it!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by dnortana
    The proof is in the pudding. Listen to the demos on Gary's site.

It is so good, I hardly ever revert to the other (much larger and much more expensive) sample libraries any more. Cobwebs are gathering on my GigaStudio disk drives.

Trond

I appreciate the feedback. I agonize over things I suppose. I look at some of the string libraries and there is so much to them, I don't think I would ever get to the point of doing anythign productive with them due to all the tweaking you have to do. So demos are scary. They always sound good, but many times some super guru made them. Edirol, which I think is the main competitor to this, is sort of Mickey Mouse. GPO just sounds to good to be true. Guess it's time to call Sweetwater.

Why not order it directly from Gary? You'll probably get it quicker.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Why not order it directly from Gary? You'll probably get it quicker.

Jeff
    A wise decision.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbagump
    I look at some of the string libraries and there is so much to them, I don't think I would ever get to the point of doing anythign productive with them due to all the tweaking you have to do.
    The beauty of GPO is how simple it is to control the instruments in a very musical way...mod wheel for expression, sustain pedal for legato or up/down bows, only a few other parameters but you'll be making music immediately...

Go Back to forum