• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Finale, GPO and Dynamics

Share/Bookmark

Question Finale, GPO and Dynamics

Greetings,
    I've been using GPO for several months now and seem to have the hang of it. However, when I use it in Finale 2004, I am having a problem getting my dynamics to work. I created a library, set the playback to Modulation and put in my values (the same numbers as the velocity equivalents). When I place them in the score, I get no response. Am I missing a step? Thanks for any help.

Tim
    Timothy Rolls, DMA
    Assistant Professor of Music Theory/Composition/Technology
    Fort Hays State University

Re: Finale, GPO and Dynamics

Tim,

The first thing that comes to mind is Finale 2004's human playback. I always turn it off. It doesn't give the user enough control. By changing the playback definition of staff expressions from velocity to modulation controller #1 works for me.

Jeff

Hallo Trolls, I have the same problem with dynamics and Finale 2004 I guess I´ll have to try the suggestion from the gentleman who first replied !

Hallo Jeff ! can you please explain how that works I´m a bit new and I´m not quite sure I´ve got it right, thankyou. Chris

Unhappy Re: Finale, GPO and Dynamics

Hi Jeff,
    Thanks for the reply. It only seems to work sporadically. I made sure that the Human Playback was off (I usually don't use it anyway). I then opened a piece I'm currently writing and placed a rather dramatic change in, making sure that I had set the expressions to use modulation rather than velocity. Then I played it back. The result was strange: It made the change for 1 measure, but then seemed to default to the previous level. In this case I went from forte to piano. Then I tried to go from Piano to Forte and it just played at a mezzo-forte. I'm stumped. I know that on my old computer this worked, but I just got a new laptop 2 weeks ago and I just noticed this problem the other night. Could I be missing a setting somewhere else? I looked over the manual carefully, but I don't see anything I missed.

Regards,
    Tim
    Timothy Rolls, DMA

Tim,

Without seeing your file, my first guess is that there's another expression resetting the volume. Sometimes in Finale I've duplicated expressions rather than creating them from scratch, and I've forgotten to change the playback info.

Here's a link to Adam Burford's tutorial in case you haven't seen it. There's a lot of information here.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ghlight=Finale

It should work. I'd experiment on a small file first. Maybe just 4 bars. Put dynamic changes in every bar. Once you get that to work, use the same principle on a larger piece.

Jeff

Hi Tim, everyone

The very first thing I would look at (and this is the simplest) is to make sure "ignore Mod Wheel" isn't selected in the GPO studio Settings under "Mode".

It sets the mod wheel to about 3/4 high and then just leaves it there.

Playback is weird and strange when this is engaged.

Just a thought - I know that yoou already thought of this - but sometimes the simplest solution is the one most overlooked.

Jerry

MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Hi Jerry,
    I just checked and the mode is set to Default. I noticed that I can use the MIDI tool to alter the Modulation, but when I use my custom expressions (or even alter the given expressions), they don't have any affect on the playback. I'm getting really confused now.

Tim
    Timothy Rolls, DMA

Tim,

Check your PM.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Tim,

Check your PM.

Jeff
    Jeff,
    Sorry, I'm not sure what PM is (Although it will probably hit me when I press submit).

Tim
    Timothy Rolls, DMA

Go Back to forum