• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sonar Producer or Studio with GS3?

Share/Bookmark

Sonar Producer or Studio with GS3?

I've pre-ordered GS3 Orchestra, and will likely buy Sonar before GS3 arrives in the mailbox. The question is... which version to buy?

According to this web page, the only things that Studio lacks are:

* Enhanced mixing console (per-channel EQ, assignable FX controls)
    * VSampler 3.0 DXi
    * Sonitus fx Suite
    * Professional Sample Library
    * Lexicon® Pantheon™ Reverb (Studio has Lexicon LE)

Given that I will have GS3 and GigaPulse, the only thing of interest is the per-channel EQ. But I believe that I will be able to do per-channel EQ in GS3, for the sample channels anyway.

In the cases that I've just gotta have per-channel EQ, I own Vegas 5, which lets me apply per-channel effects, customize my bus routing and all of the effects are automatable. If I ever need to do this level of audio (rather than MIDI) mixing, I can always render to wave and mix in Vegas.

(BTW, does Sonar Producer let you automate effects?)

So, aside from the interrupted workflow on the occassion that I move the project to Vegas, is there any other reason that I should part with the extra $200 for Producer? From the perspective of a GS3 & Vegas 5 owner, I don't think Producer gives enough bang for the buck.

Am I missing something here?

-Jon Fairhurst

Re: Sonar Producer or Studio with GS3?

Is GS3 out yet? If not, any word on what the release date is now?
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

The Gold Master DVD has been completed. There have been a few different dates from various people at Tascam. It sounds like the discs will be in customer hands late next week, or early the following week.

Yay!

But which version of Sonar should I get to go with it?...

-Jon Fairhurst

JonMeister- Here's a lowdown on Sonar Producer...
    1. VSampler- Eh, it's ok but GS3 will do it all AND you have to pay an extra $75 (?) for VSampler in reality. The version you get is a quasi demo with Producer.

2. Lexicon Pantheon- It's good but you'll have gigapulse, so ya don't need it!

3. Per channel EQ- As you said this is reworkable if you have to have it. It is pretty handy though.

4. Sonitus FX- These little effects are very good! They are a nifty addition to Producer, but you will have gigapulse for some of those. I don't know if it's worth the extra $200 smackers.

I have Producer because I wanted these xtras, but I found out VSampler was a scam and then I bought Waves IR1 so now I never use Lexicon. I could have got by with Studio no problem. Good Luck!

Oh yeah the sample library. Well, if you don't buy VSampler then you won't even load these up except in a different sampler. Plus you'd have to convert them from VS3 to whatever format you would use. The piano disc is okay, but nothing to write home about. I NEVER use the other disc. It has some beds and pads. I can't even remember what else was on there. Nothing you haven't heard before on a synthesizer. All in all bleh... Save your $200 and go with Studio dude.

Me again. Lastly, yes you can automate effects in Producer! That is a Huge help. I don't know if you can in Studio though...
    I think a favorite gag in medival times was to sneak up behind a Knight and stick a "kick me" sign on his armor with a magnet.

hv

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I've pre-ordered GS3 Orchestra, and will likely buy Sonar before GS3 arrives in the mailbox. The question is... which version to buy?
    I've done a project here and there with Vegas but I've always headed back to Sonar for audio tracking. Although they're similar, I've always liked doing effects automation envelopes better in Sonar than Vegas. (I think Studio has the same effects automation as Producer.) I gotta say, I particulary favor Cakewalk's no-key, no activation code implementations. But I've got a surround sound project coming up that I'm doing with Vegas 5/DVD Arch for another go around... I've always thought Sonar and Vegas were both pretty good with different strengths.

Since I've always liked Sonar so much, I've stayed top of the line. Didn't find VSampler useful enough to pay for their update, however, so that's kind of dropped by the wayside for me. I like the Sonitus fx alot. But I find Sonars per-channel EQ the most useful and memory efficient yielding the highest audio track counts which does it for me. You might want to read through the Cakewalk forums... there's a lot of chatter about the upcoming Sonar 4. There may be an update impact but I've occasionally skipped versions over the years with minimal to nonexistant penalty.

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by hv
    You might want to read through the Cakewalk forums... there's a lot of chatter about the upcoming Sonar 4. There may be an update impact but I've occasionally skipped versions over the years with minimal to nonexistant penalty.

Howard
    I have to agree with the comment about reading the forums, for a couple of reasons....with the automation it really seems to be that you have to check your manufacturer, some have recently found the behringers new fader controller thingy's (6am technical term there ...) don'tallow much, while others do.
    I personally have producer mainly for the per channel eq and a little bit due to the lexicon verb. I admit though that $200 seems a lot extra for those features only, but I'm pretty sure that a lot of the places that have it on special (I think audiomidi and mtlc both have it on special) can reduce that difference subsantially.

Thanks all!

I did some searches of the Sonar forum. It seems that both Studio and Producer support automation. Also, per-track EQ is a bit of a misnomer. Studio can apply an EQ effect on every track, but you have to open an effects window. Producer puts the EQ directly in the console view. As an amatuer, I can handle the extra second of workflow interruption.

So the evaluation is...

* Enhanced mixing console (per-channel EQ, assignable FX controls)
    . - very nice, but can work around
    * VSampler 3.0 DXi
    . - With GS3, who needs it?
    * Sonitus fx Suite
    . - More effects are always nice, but I also have my Vegas plug ins
    * Professional Sample Library
    . - VSL it ain't
    * Lexicon® Pantheon™ Reverb (Studio has Lexicon LE)
    . - GigaPulse should do me fine

So I ordered Studio today. Since I am a Cake HS7 owner, I got it direct for $199. (Producer would have been $349.)

Thanks again for the suggestions - especially the one about going to the forums. Sonar rewired to GS3 here I come...

-Jon Fairhurst

I am not sure how it works with the effects and what you do and don't get with studio i thought i'd better point out that it is the sonitus effects it relies on for eq (in producer anyway) for per channel eq....

Go Back to forum