• Register
  • Help

Topic: Different audio systems and Eq

Share/Bookmark

Question Different audio systems and Eq

Hi,

Suppose a piece is finally mixed (only reverb) and sounds ok on the computer.
    Then the piece is transfered on CD and tested with many different audio systems. But you realize that some frequencies are not so well balanced on cheaper systems.

Is the Eq applied on the mix will damage the piece (Quality loss) ?

Thanks,

SergeD

Re: Different audio systems and Eq

Quality loss? Yeah... some, just because you're going through the whole process twice. But most likely not enough of a loss to matter. My bet is no-one will ask you if you re-eq'd the master.

But, it sounds like your problem is "not so good monitors" that leave you guessing (what are you monitoring on anyway?). If you get decent monitors you'll save yourself the headache of mixing numerous times. And well, depending on what your deadlines are, sometimes there's no time to check and re-check. Good monitors give you the piece of mind to know it's "right" the first time.....

But I would say it's best to start from square one and touch up your EQ there, then mix down to whatever. You'll lose a slight bit of "quality" going back through converters and such numerous times when it might as well be once....

BTW--- When you notice a problem on various playback systems it's because the mix is "wrong" basically, there are fundamental problems with it. Good mixes will not seem to change so drastically from system to system. I mean, you hear "the system(s)" but really the mix sounds the same everywhere.....

Why don't you post the mix.... now I'm curious to hear it.

KID-

Kid-surf, you may be right about the "not-so-good" monitors but it may also be a case of not knowing how the mix on your monitors translates to other systems.

For example, I recently saved up and bought a really good set of monitors. The difference was night and day. There was so much more clarity and spacial depth in what I was listening to. However, it also took me a long time to re-learn the way that my mixes would translate to other systems.

Maybe this is the case with you too Serge?

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus
    Maybe this is the case with you too Serge?

You're right on Daedalus.

I'm using the really good headphones Sennheiser HD490 for monitoring and they cover a wide range of frequencies. In many cases when testing on systems audio the sound of the strings appear weaker while the woodwinds get to much space. Finally the low frequencies found on contrabass and cello are less present. The best way is probably as you say, translate and counterbalance sections before the mixing process.

Thanks Kid-surf and Daedalus for the insight,

SergeD

Actually -- it looks like I was right too. Actually more so.....

Serge, headphones are horrible to mix on. You'll continue to have problems till you get some decent monitors. (and yes learn them as Daedalus suggested). So there is your problem, mixing on headphones.

Basically you aren't hearing what's happening (frequency wise) correctly.... it's an illusion on your headphones. I'd budget for some decent "monitors" at some point. That will fix the problem....

As a point of reference; my monitors cost $4,500, add to that DAC $850, and good cables $300. That may be overkill for you, but I know what my mixes sound like "for real" (many people that get good mixes have a similar set up). At least spend $400 on monitors at some point. Your mixes will start to take a turn for the better.....

KID-

Quote Originally Posted by kid-surf
    At least spend $400 on monitors at some point. Your mixes will start to take a turn for the better.....
    KID-

It's something I could afford this next fall, hopefully.

Thank you Kid-surf,

SergeD

In addition to the importance of monitors, let's not forget the importance of knowing the accuracy (and/or inaccuracy) of the room you're mixing in, and how your monitors and your room interact.
    My room, for example, sounds absolutely terrific. Damn near any mix sounds great---and that's actually a very very bad thing.
    It's taken me almost two years to get to the point where I have a reasonably good idea what my monitors in my room translates to in the outside world without having to run back and forth between different speakers, systems, cars, etc...

Go Back to forum