• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A ear rendering

Share/Bookmark

A ear rendering

Hi all,

I've done a fast ear rendering of the theme from "Poltergeist".
    This is not at all a mock-up because it contains a lot of bugs and changes due to my poor ears and a very reverberated recording I listened to.
    But i simply loved that theme in the past and continue to love it today.

All sounds are from Garritan Personal Orchestra.

http://www.archisounds.com/polter.mp3 (about 5Mbytes)

Ciao
    Luca

Re: A ear rendering

Not too shabby!

Thanks for sharing!

I just wish I had ears like yours!! If I were to try a mock-up like this from hearing, it would NOT be a "quick" one. Thanks again!

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Thanks to you Jerry!!

That's very nice indeed Luca! It wasn't a theme I was familiar with but I have to agree that it's a very appealing piece.

I'm sure that it was a great pleasure for you to be able to reproduce one of your favourite pieces on you own and being able to impose your own preferences and emotion.

The piece is nicely produced (not that I know the original to compare it with) and all the reverb etc is just right IM(very)HO. You would have to do a lot of very detailed, intra note MIDI tweaking to improve it at all.

A great effort.

Frank

Very pretty!

GOOD EARS! The many modulations require a sharp knowledge of the fields of harmony and progressions. I am very impressed with your abilities.

Regards,

Larry A.

Most excelent.
    I remember hearing this theme at the end of the movie. As I recall, it was orchestrated with childrens choir and orchestra. I much do prefer your rendition.

Was this the opening theme to the movie as well and was it done with just orchestra?

Good job! I like the over all feel.
    88fingers
    (The Nut )

www.waveav8.com

Thanks Frank, Larry and 88fingers for the kind words.

Frank, yes, it's one of my favourite themes from the sadly missing Mr Jerry Goldsmith. I loved the athmosphere it created in a scary movie, very unusual.
    Believe me when I say that was a fast rendering, because the original one is million times more expressive and romantic...I simply hadn't the time to render at its best.

88fingers, I listened the concert version on the CD "Goldsmith conducts Goldsmith", it's a part of a suite from various motion pictures, and is for orchestra only.

thanks
    Luca

Quote Originally Posted by Lux
    Believe me when I say that was a fast rendering, because the original one is million times more expressive and romantic...I simply hadn't the time to render at its best.
    I'm impressed....when you say 'fast', what do you mean...how many hours would you estimate you spent on it?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bmonroney
    I'm impressed....when you say 'fast', what do you mean...how many hours would you estimate you spent on it?

Brian
    It took about 7-8 hours, that's a very little time for me.
    I'm not fast at all in those things and I use to listen and listen a billion times while rendering, each time changing something.
    To me a good time to create something good of...let's say..about 2 minutes is 3-4 days for mockups by ear, because in some parts you can't hear each part, so have to try different configurations and you have to check almost each note.
    In this particular case I know many passages are really different, some other more similar.

Luca
    Last edited by Lux; 08-05-2004 at 04:07 PM. Reason: english lessons needed :(

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast