• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is this just junk?

Share/Bookmark

Is this just junk?

I composed a song today; for the first time using a drum loop as a starting point.

Is this thing OK? Does it fill any spot in a portfolio? What genre does it fit if any?

thanks up front...

LoopTest

Re: Is this just junk?

It's in the "sounds good" genre of music.

Seriously, you could just put it in an experimental/synth genre. Sounds good, though, but it's TOO SHORT! I don't know how many times something good is posted here but is just too short. Don't be afraid to elaborate and experiment a little.

Thumbs up Re: Is this just junk?

"Welcome to the new and exciting world of..."

That would be the voice over to go with this track. In the world of corporate audio... you could sell this score without trying!!

AWESOME~ A sound designer's score
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Great sound. What did you use to create this?

Trond

Thanks to you guys. The reason I asked in this way is because I am experimenting, trying things that I don't know how to do. And I really don't know if I layered too much stuff (which is what I'm learning not to do in orchestral). After I was done I went back to separate stuff.

I started with a drum loop-I don't know the style-like disco, or techno or whatever they call this simple electronic style (I wouldn't know how to do this beat)

But I wanted to do something more filmscore. (not saying I achieved this) by doing a dark ambient sound thing.

So, I just don't know if it hits any target (I know it hits mine as an exercise).

I'll put it somewhere under (morphing Greatzed's idea) Hybrid/experimental. Unless someone has a better category for me.

I used marimba, crotales (pitched down an octave) and percussion toys from GPO. Zebra, Cameleon, Maljsmo, Trilogy.

I recorded and reversed a patch from Zebra. the buzz synth at the end is ES2.

It sounds good to me. Include it on a reel? Dunno. I think matching your reel to the target market makes a big difference. Include it on a demo if the person you are giving the demo to would potentially be able to use it on something. Consumers of custom music have little imagination. They basically want to hear on your demo exactly the thing they need... then, of course, they want you to write something totally different that strikes them in the same emotional way as that demo piece they liked.

John

I like the general vibe.

Although, I thought there were a few elements that made it sound dated a little bit. A few of the synths I think. Personally, I feel it would present a little stronger as "film music" with some stings. Just something something sparse, some swells or something....

just an opinion.

KID-

Actually, on second listen, I think it falls more into the multimedia category.....

Doesn't so much sound like film music to me. I like it for multimedia though.

KID-

Go Back to forum