• Register
  • Help

Topic: Alpha search engine like Giga at all?

Share/Bookmark

Alpha search engine like Giga at all?

hi

I\'ve used Giga for quite some time now. The feature I like most about it is that if I start typing in a sample name in the quick view finder of Giga, my entire library of over 28,000 sample instantly shrinks down to include only those samples who\'s name is definable by the letters I\'ve typed, like an alpha search engine. To me, its the difference between heaven and Hell

Otherwise, despite my highly organized file system, I\'d have a hard time locating my samples.

Does Kontakt have anything remotely resembling this feature?

I\'d really appreciate some feedback, and what you guys think and what the best way to use it is.

Thanks!!!!

Re: Alpha search engine like Giga at all?

Patrick, Kontakt doesnt really have a quickfind database finder like GS. What it does have is a new feature call \"quicksearch volume scan\" (scans all your drives and networks for potential samples and patchs and creates a data base file). and a \"favorites\" directory when u can organize and your most commonly used samples ,inst. and multi`s. U can`t just type \"violin\" in a search box and every sample associated with violin will come up.(like in GS) U have to organize that yourself with in your folder or \'favorites\' directory. I have 2 -80 HD packed to the brim with Orch.samples but i know where everything is, so this hasnt every been an issue with me. Kontakt has MANY other advantages though..Rich

Thanks Rich

My Library is pretty well organized,....for Giga.

Do you think I should convert my Library into and additional Kontakt Library? or just import as needed.

I have Chicken Sys Translator but have been waiting for them to get the conversion of parrallel trees working. At last check, it wasn\'t working. Do you know anything about this?

I feel like a broken record cause this has been said many times. but,basically kontakt does NOT import giga files with MV or X-fades properly. Only normal or KS programs. CdXtrakt may do a better job or... I`ve been using halion 2.02 for my giga samples as it imports all the giga \'dimensions\' directly fine..Best Rich

Rich,

Does Halion work with Sonar 3? or only with Cubase?

Thanks,
    Owel

Originally posted by Rich Pell:
    I feel like a broken record cause this has been said many times. but,basically kontakt does NOT import giga files with MV or X-fades properly. Only normal or KS programs. CdXtrakt may do a better job or... I`ve been using halion 2.02 for my giga samples as it imports all the giga \'dimensions\' directly fine..Best Rich
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Owel:
    [QB] Rich,

Does Halion work with Sonar 3? or only with Cubase?

Thanks,
    Owel

Hi Owel, well i`m not positive out this as i dont use Sonar ,but since Sonar accepts VST i can`t see why not. Obviously since both products are Stienberg ,Halion`s probably been tested more thouroughly in SX2. I know developers who use Stienbergs GUI always create and test mostly with Cubase. Ir u want to be positive about the Pros and Cons of this is would post this very Q: in the Halion forum at cubase.net. Users are VERY helpful there...Rich

NI just mentioned (on the NI Forum on their web site) that they\'re working on improving Giga import into Kontakt. In fact, they\'re soliciting suggestions from users who\'ve had problems in the past -- now\'s the time to make your voice heard!

Thanks, Dave i just went there to contribute my little rant [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] . Unfortunately for me,its too little too late,since i couldn`t wait(for professional reasons)for NI to get there **** together on the GIGA import thing, and bought halion 2 to play some of my \"heavier\" libs. If they do ever get it together I`ll be looking forward to doing everything just in Kontakt. Who knows maybe 6 months from now [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ...Rich

Go Back to forum