• Register
  • Help

Topic: Building a PC specifically for GS3. Suggestions?

Building a PC specifically for GS3. Suggestions?

Hello, I've been awaiting the release of GS3 for sometime now. My current setup is a dual 2.0 G5 w/2GB ram running Logic Pro6 and Pro Tools. I am looking to build a Giga system that i can integrate into my logic setup. I would like to make sure i can use all of the new functions in GS3 (GSIF2 etc)So here are my specific questions:

-Any certain audio interface that works well w/Giga?
    -Any certain Midi interface that works well with Giga? (I have a MOTU express XT for my mac)
    -As far as the PC goes I am open to any suggestions. On what to avoid, and what works well (CPUs, motherboards, Memory, Hard drives, etc)

My price range is going to about 1K on the computer, but i dont need cd/dvd drives as i am taking those out of my other PC.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
    Ryan Wilson

Re: Building a PC specifically for GS3. Suggestions?

Ryan -
    I am also having one built that will just run Giga 3. I am picking it up tomorrow so I guess it will run the old Gigastudio for awhile. I would recommend building it yourself or having it built for you. You don't need all the extra stuff that will come with one that you buy in a store, and in your case, you don't need the drives. All of my parts were purchased from Newegg.com. It has a pentium 4 2.8 Ghz with 800Mhz front side bus. It is coming with 1 gig of dual channel DDR RAM, and if it needs more I will add it later. Make sure you have 1 really big hard drive to hold samples (at least 120 gig), and another to hold the program. i will have an 80gig and a 120gig. without the monitor, you should be able to throw all that together for around $600-750, and that should work smoothly. good luck.

Re: Building a PC specifically for GS3. Suggestions?

The keys are:

* Processor Speed
    * Amount of RAM
    * Speed of the Hard Drives
    * Size of the Hard Drives
    * I/O of the Audio Card

Processor speed is really important if you are doing a lot of effects, like GigaPulse. Otherwise, most anything available today is powerful enough. AMD Athlon 2800 for the low end. Blazing fast P4 or Athlon 64 at the high end.

RAM size depends on your music. If you're doing rock and roll and don't use a lot of articulations, 512MB to 1GB should do. If you load lots of samples, get 1.5GB. 2GB, if you're feeling rich.

Hard drive speed buys you polyphony. Playing piano with a lot of pedal? A big orchestra? A giant percussion kitchen? Then poly matters. Get a Seagate (it's quiet) 7,200 RPM sample drive if you don't need more than 200 voices. A RAID of SATA 10K RPM Raptors will suit the poly fiends. 15K RPM SCSI RAID for the wealthy poly fiends

Hard drive size simply depends on the number of samples you own or plan to own.

Audio card I/O depends on how many MIDI devices you want to connect, how many channels of audio you want to track, if you're doing surround, and if you're running external effects or doing other routing. I get away with a MIA, which has the advantage of being cleap and including 4 virtual stereo outputs. (It's like an on-board 4 into 1 mixer.) Other considerations are the reputation of good drivers, latency (none are bad, some are excellent) and sound quality. Get 24/192 for sure, even if you won't use it. Everybody offers 24/192 these days.

Other considerations: A fanless motherboard. Video doesn't matter. The cheaper ATI cards are often fanless as well. Zalman has quiet heatsinks (6000Cu for the Athlon, 7000Cu for the P4 and Athlon 64). And get a quiet powerful power supply. Or, if you went for the Raptors or SCSI, it'll be loud, so get a long cable and put the PC in another room.

-Jon Fairhurst

Go Back to forum