• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GS3- Too Little, too late....

Share/Bookmark

GS3- Too Little, too late....

Is the release of GS3 not an absolutely classic example of the the phrase, 'Too little, too late'?

Looking at the spec sheet it seems to me that it has too much competition now from many others....Halion3, Kontakt2 (in the wings), EMU etc.

I, genuinely, hope I'm wrong for the sake of the originators of the disk streaming technology.

Frank

Re: GS3- Too Little, too late....

Time will tell...but for me who does not want to convert my extensive Giga liberary unless absolutely needed, then GS3 is good. I just regard it as a large update for my 2.54 system. An update that includes many features I want. If other programs alsohave these features Idoes not really concern me -these programs have to beFAR better than GS3 if Imto convert my .gis 's

Hi,

be aware that Gigastudio is the only sampler that allow the natural "Piano release mode"

(2.5 or 3.0)

Why ?

Because ADHSR - env is programmed for realtime processing (not the case of Kontakt)

more explanations at :

http://www.audiolivepro.com

Regards,

Olivier

What else do you want a sampler to do? An instant finished composition button?

Hi,

with Gigastudio 2.5 you have a virtual instrument - a virtual Piano - much more than an sampler !!!!

And i've programmed one of my Piano Kontakt library in Giga : the result is incredible !!!!

(String reso - real damper behaviour - symp resonance...)

i'm waiting for Gigastudio 3 solo.

Gigastudio is much more than a sampler....

It's the only serious product for sampled piano at this time ( I hope that NI will wake up with Kontakt 2)

Regards,

Olivier

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Too little too late?

This is absolutely not the case. You cannot discern the depth of this release from the spec sheet--you need to see it in action.

The thing that is underestimated is the programming model and GigaPulse, and how those two technologies interact. It is tempting to think of GigaPulse as a reverb. Actually, that is only one function of the technology. GigaPiano is the proof-of-technology for some of the modeling aspects, but there are literally thousands more combinations waiting to be explored (several under development by sampleware producers right now).

The GigaPiano II comes with lots of "how we did it" documentation which will give people a head start in using GigaPulse (and the new programming modes, iMIDI, etc.) as an integral part of instrument models.

Olivier...you should try to get "Ensemble." It will be the most flexible system for experimenting with and building pianos. Having the full GigaPulse pro is very important to pianos. Especially for you, since you own a piano. You will be able to produce resonance models for yourself. That is a powerful feature for you.

Exclamation Re: GS3- Too Little, too late....

Yeah, GigaStudio 3.0 is really gonna be a "Monster" when it's finally released.... I have no doubts about that. You know. like Tom Petty sings, "The waiting is the hardest part...." It's kinda easy to understand people becoming somewhat disheartened by the long waiting period we're all going through. I want to get my hands on Giga 3.0 as much as anyone.... and, hopefully, the wait will be over soon. Just hang in there guys (and gals)... Giga 3.0, from what I've heard and read about it, will definately be worth the wait. Patience........... Gary

Talking Re: GS3- Too Little, too late....

I think we will see the GS3 naysayers 'quietly' buying their copy as the reports comes back from early upgraders of the prowess of the software. I am not harping on these naysayers - heck, I have been ticked off at how long it has taken for this major upgrade, BUT, if it is 80% of the hype - it will be a winner. I have a solid work flow now with 2 giga systems, as I see it, it will just get better. I have enjoyed Kontakt on the third puter, but it is just not the 'workhorse' giga is.

Christmas is just around the corner! I am getting stoked.

Rob

GS3 has a long list of killer features. The thing I'm really looking forward to is the combination of MIDI rules and channel sharing. Here's what I want to do...

I've got a homemade electronic drum set (started life as a Pearl Rhythm Traveler) connected to an Alesis DM5. With the MIDI output connected to GS3, I should be able to break apart the notes and give them to different mixer channels. That way I can compress the snare, EQ the cymbals, boost the bass drum and so on and so forth all independently. I can then run them through different busses of GigaPulse for placement within the stereo field. If this flies with my existing drums, I'll probably save for Scarbee's Imperials. They sounded killer through GigaPulse at NAB. I should be able to get as close to live sounding drums as you can get without a ranch of mics and a large sound booth. Time to get to work on my chops...

On the orchestral side, Vienna Giga Symphony will be great to have. Sure the articulation set isn't huge, but I'm hoping that I can load most everything I need for a basic orchestra into a single machine. With virtually unlimited poly, this will be an awesome, single machine, orchestral scratch pad. Save the results to audio, load up the larger artuculation sets per section and get the detailed mockup from there - when needed.

The only big feature that's missing for me is compatibility with the newer EWQL samples. I will really need a separate machine to do VSTis at some point.

The other thing that GS3 is missing is true 64-bit operation and an OS to go with it. It's got the poly, but RAM limitations remain. Let's hope that the GS3 code base ports smoothly to 64-bits for GS4!

-Jon Fairhurst

Quote Originally Posted by Alexcremers
    What else do you want a sampler to do? An instant finished composition button?
    Maybe in v3.1?

frank

Go Back to forum