• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Combining VSL and EWQLSO

Share/Bookmark

Post Combining VSL and EWQLSO

Hello All,

I have read several posts on the stregnths of both VSL and QLSO and have even noticed that some combine both libs in thier compositions to "get the best of both worlds".

For those of you who combine these libs...would you please offer some tips? For example, since the QLSO is already panned, what are your settings for VSL (where do you, for instance pan the violins?...L50..L42???) Also, anyone know of some ways to apply reverb to best match QLSO? What about layering instrument patches?

I feel this thread will be useful, not only to me, but to anyone wanting to recreate a truly authentic orchestral sound.

Thanks in advance for all who provide input!

Re: Combining VSL and EWQLSO

David Govett, Thomas J Bergersen, Craig Sharmat and Colin O'Malley are perhaps a few of the best people to look up for settings to combine these libraries. (Simon Ravn is another, but is no longer part of the NS forums.)

VSL and EWQLSO blend very well together - VSL takes more work engineering-wise in my opinion but its possible to get a very cool mix between the two major libraries.

East West is supposedly working on a performance legato feature like VSL as well as completing the orchestral articulation list this summer so that remains yet another option.

Thanks for the reply... If anyone has some settings that they wouldn't mind sharing, that would be awesome!

Or...if anyone has any demos featuring the two libs together and would be able to post some particulars about how you achieved your results (patches used, laying, panning,reverb,etc) , I'm sure that would help out alot too.

Thanks again!

Here's one:

Colin O'Malley:
    http://www./Colin_...wqlso_flow.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick
    East West is supposedly working on a performance legato feature like VSL
    Somehow I doubt that, I am expecting something similar to what GPO does.

andyt

Try Dave Govett's demo using VSL trumpet and EWQLSO, which uses GigaPulse on the the trumpet for the reverb.

you'll need to trot on over to vsl forum for that though.

QLSOs 11 vln dxf emotn 2 patch (close mic) sounds nice mixed with VSLs performance legato violins

Don't forget Maarten Spruijt in the list of sample masters:
    www.maartenspruijt.com

He has made demos for both EWQLSO and VSL (and for his own company ProjectSAM of course!) and has a very impressive list of demos on his site.

I think that's about as much info as one could reasonably give, Sharmy...

Really you just have to use your ears, cuz there's no secrete formula to a great sound/blend.

You know, it's like when student engineers try to write down the settings of great engineers, thinking that this is the secret code to a great mix . They try to write down and document the positions of mics and such, EQ settings, evrything. Then the next tune the great engineer does nothing the same as last. And now the student is back to square one. (somehow the documentation never translates... well for obvious reasons). So the notes? They're meaningless at that point. The lesson is in the way the engineer hears where things 'should' be... that's the skill you want, not settings. And it takes practice, don't know if you can teach someone how to 'hear'.....

In other words "just wing it" That's all anybody does to a certain extent...

KID-

Go Back to forum