• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What is the Sequencer of Choice with GigaStudio?

Share/Bookmark

What is the Sequencer of Choice with GigaStudio?

"What is the Sequencer of Choice with GigaStudio?"

Za title says it all.

What do you guys think? What do you guys use?

In wait for GigaStudio 3 Solo, I bought GigaStudio 2.5 32 and just got it yesterday.

I have a Roland VS-2408 24 track Digital Recorder / Mixer so I need a sequencer that can dump to a .wav for importing into it.

Any help is much appreciated.

andyt

Re: What is the Sequencer of Choice with GigaStudio?

Hi Daxxus,

About 2.5 years ago I had almost the same set-up as you (VS2480) and decided to buy GigaStudio for some decent strings sounds. I actually bought the Roland PC interface card so that I could stream directly from the PC into the VS2480 .(and a vain attempt to use my PC as outboard host for FX)

Over that period I have migrated from the VS2480 to a totally PC based set up now. Sold VS2480. Bought decent soundcard, sequencer (Cubase SX) and lots of libraries...

anyway thats by the by. I guess most people on forum will vouch for either Cakewalk Sonar, or Steinberg Cubase. I went for Cubase.

Having tried the Sonar demo, I don't like the more subtle interface ... but do prefer the ability to add controller-curves in the midi channel.

In cubase, I prefer the interface ... but don't like the way the main work area windows shrinks every time I open an effect window or midi-scroll. I don't like the prefences dialogue boxes either .... nothing seems that intuitive to find.
    Some people might suggest other sequencers, but these are the only two I'm slightly familiar with.

PS Consider very carefully whether you really need the top version of the sequencer you buy. You probably don't need all the bells and whistles they have.

well, I've moved to a Mac and Logic 6 which sets up fine with Gigastudio.

But before that I used Cakewalk 9 (on one computer with Giga 160) and it was soooo easy to integrate with Gigastudio. It was the silly kind of easy...you know...that's-all-I-have-to-do kind of easy.

I would think Sonar must be as easy and with the addition of vector lines to control midi parameters (as mentioned above) it would be a fine choice if you're on a PC.

Assuming that you're using the sequencer on the PC, it's Cubase or Sonar. Some write about Ableton Live as well, but I'm not really familiar with it.

Any of the sequencers can work successfully. I've been using Cakewalk Home Studio 7 for years, and I just upgraded to Sonar3. I also have Cubasis VST that shipped with GPO - but I found that the user interface didn't fall to hand, and I wan't able to find the keyboard shortcuts that I've come to rely upon.

Try both demos. You may find that Cubase makes sense to you and Sonar may seem like a foreign language. Assuming that you don't find any killer or missing critical features, get the one that falls most naturally to hand.

-Jon Fairhurst

Wow -- you guys are not only freakin' FAST with the responses but damn helpful. I appreciate the input -- I'm going to get both demos and see what is what. From the gut it feels that Cubase is going to be the one for me. Thanks andyt for the input -- that is really helpful. What sound card did you goto by-the-way? And offhand does Cubase dump to .wav?

And I see what you guys mean by not buying the straight away most supa-mac-daddy version of Cubase -- there are tons and tons of options and it's $799 so that might be a bit overkill. Any suggestions on a version if I go that way?

Man -- you guys rock.

Cool Re: What is the Sequencer of Choice with GigaStudio?

Quote Originally Posted by andyt
    Hi Daxxus,

PS Consider very carefully whether you really need the top version of the sequencer you buy. You probably don't need all the bells and whistles they have.
    When you're thinking, remember the kind of work you want to do.

If you're only doing instrumental stuff, then you may be a bit skimpish on which version you buy. However, if you're recording vocals, accoustic guitars, hand drums etc., you may want to be a bit more careful because, there may be audio features that you need that the "little brothers" in the sequencer line may not have.

I use SONAR 3 Producer at the moment and there are things I know I'll need from it that GS won't give me, when I get it.

Add to that, I know how to do certain things in SONAR that I'll then have to learn to do in GS, if GS does them.

To contradict the last paragraph, I tried the Samplitude DEMO, liked it and, am planning to get version 8 when it comes out in October or November.

Hope you're not more confused now .... :-)

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

SONAR's major value with GigaStudio is all the track-level envelope control. Very handy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    SONAR's major value with GigaStudio is all the track-level envelope control. Very handy stuff.
    Bruce,

I'm not familiar with this...to what end is it used?

Thanks,
    Wes

andyt

[QUOTE=Bruce A. Richardson]SONAR's major value with GigaStudio is all the track-level envelope control. QUOTE]

That was the phrase I was thinking of when I was trying to describe the bit about Sonar I really liked. All the controller envelopes are superimposed ON the midi tracks .... whereas in Cubase each controller has its own track amdist a plethora of controller tracks hidden in subfolders, and are a pain in the [nss][nss][nss] to find and open. I find it really clogs up the work space.

I am really envious of this aspect of Sonar.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wes37
    Bruce,

I'm not familiar with this...to what end is it used?

Thanks,
    Wes
    Anything you need to automate, just add an envelope and spec its controller number. Very handy for automating various aspects of Giga.

Go Back to forum