• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Altiverb Users - Info needed

Altiverb Users - Info needed

I am a pc user and would like to remain sequencing, mixing, and mastering stuff on pc. Lately Altiverb has been the talk of the town and demos I've heard using it have impressed me.

My question is what kinds of options are there available to pc users to use altiverb. Is there an easy way to route audio through to a mac/altiverb while mixing/mastering on pc - perhaps through fxteleport or other solutions?

I've never used a mac so I'm not really sure what all this could entail, what questions to ask or what kind of required systems (mac or additional hardware) would be needed to do this. Would I also need a sequencer on the mac for this?

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Altiverb Users - Info needed

If you want altiverb, you'll need a mac. It's code uses the alti-vec engine that is not present in Intel/AMD chips.

That said, there are plenty of convolution options available for PC users nowadays. Some are better than others.
    - Waves recenly released IR-1 which is IMO very nice.
    - There is a free one called SIR. I think Steinberg makes it.
    - Some users here have said good things about the voxengo plug as well.

It may not have been the news you were hoping for but hope this helps.

Castle Rock, Colorado

Altiverb is Mac-based. But its based on convolution technology and isn't the only kid on the block anymore. Waves would be a great alternative for PC, and (if they ever get around to releasing it) GigaPulse by Tascam.

ps: I own Altiverb and love it. But I've also heard equally great verbs from the one's mentioned above.

So what are the options of routing the audio from PC to a mac/altiverb. Is it possible to sort of use the mac/altiverb sort of like a hardware device where everything is done on a pc, but then the audio is routed to a mac/altiverb for the reverb? How would this be set up/what are the options to do this?

You can do that, panz, but not through FX Teleport yet. I used to use my PowerBook to run an extra Altiverb, and I had a MOTU 828 Firewire interface on it. But it has to be a G4, and if you want to run more than one low-latency Altiverb, you'll want a minimum of a 733.

You also need some kind of host software. MOTU's stuff comes with Audiodesk, and that works fine. If you were to pick up a used 828 for about $400, that would work.

You'd need ways to bus the audio signal back and forth between the two machines. By the end of this year, so they say, FX-teleport will be able to do this over ethernet in a cross-platform application (Mac and PC) - no need for audio interfaces on the two machines, or midi either.

Until then, the only way I know to do it is to pipe the audio back and forth through audio interfaces on each machine. I do this all the time, with an RME Hammerfall 96/52 on the PC (3 ADAT lightpipes), into a motu 2408 on the Mac, with an appropriate sync between the two platforms (I use word clock). In my case I'm running GigaStudio or V-Stack on the PC, and my DAW (Digital Performer) on the Mac. You'd simply be doing things the other way around ...

If all you're running on the Mac is Altiverb, in its host, then you don't need a super powerful Mac, a G4 500 or better should do it.

Hope this helps,

I'v actually downloaded and used Altiverb on a G5 2.0 and i would not even attempt it on anything else.

Altiverb is spetacular but requires A LOT of processing power. Using a G4 would be nothing but frustration

Quote Originally Posted by gigagagga
    I'v actually downloaded and used Altiverb on a G5 2.0 and i would not even attempt it on anything else.

Altiverb is spetacular but requires A LOT of processing power. Using a G4 would be nothing but frustration

This isn't my experience. I used to run 1 instance of Altiverb as a real time plugin (low latency - high processor load) in Digital Performer on a G4 400. I can now run 2 instances (low latency) in DP on a G4 Dual 1.25, also with Kontakt streaming from disk and a Quicktime movie to boot.

SIR is not by Steinberg... wouldn't be free then

Yeah, Giggagaga, they were selling Altiverb long before anyone had heard of a G5.

The longer the impulse the more machine you need, but I can sometimes run two low-latency ones on my G4/500-upgraded Powerbook (although usually it's just one). I've never had any trouble running three low-latency ones on my dual gig Quicksilver G4 with a bunch of EXS24s playing, regardless of the length.

I'd still suggest a 733mHz G4 as a minimum if you're buying a Mac to run Altiverb. Of course a G5 is better, and I believe they've recently optimized it for G5s so you can run a lot more than you used to be able to run. But it's definitely not a requirement.

Go Back to forum