• Register
  • Help

Topic: Unweighted 88 key controllers??

Share/Bookmark

Question Unweighted 88 key controllers??

Im wondering if there is a market for unweighted, or semi weighted 88 key pro controller keyboards...Im not a pianist, and I seem to be able to perform samples of instruments (other than piano, mostly orchestral) more accuratley, and efficiently with semi, or unweighted synth action keyboards...percussion for instance.. I use my controller only in the studio..Ive been using my Triton 76 key as a controller for the past 4 or 5 years, and I hardley ever use it for its onboard sounds..its just a controller..I really liked the idea of the M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, with all the controller features..but the inconsistant velocity issue, weird velocity ranges, and keyboard action didnt work out for me. (see Keystation 88 Pro thread) Ive been researching the net, but havent found any unweighted 88 key controllers with all the knobs and sliders as the Keystation has...most dont even have mod wheels!...Am I the only one who would like to see more unweighted, or semi weighted professional 88 key studio controllers?

Re: Unweighted 88 key controllers??

i have the Studiologic TMK-88 with semi-weighted action. It is a decent keyboard for cheap and super light as well (13 lbs). However the VMK-88 has all the knobs and whatnot that you want. You may want to check it out.

For playing synthesizer (non-piano) sounds, I find a good semi-weighted board vital to the feel. I have not had the chance to play the VMK-88, but if it is playable, i want one -big time...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

For a long time, I have been dreaming someone makes "mini" 88-keyboard for mobile use.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Quote Originally Posted by matthew
    i have the Studiologic TMK-88 with semi-weighted action. It is a decent keyboard for cheap and super light as well (13 lbs). However the VMK-88 has all the knobs and whatnot that you want. You may want to check it out.
    The VMK looks OK except for the pitch bend wheel is in a weird place (to me anyway) no dedicated mod wheel? Thats the thing that kills me about the Keystation...design of it...the way all of the controls are laid out like a traditional workstation synth..I LOVE it...If it was only semi, or unweighted (and had its velocity issues fixed in an software update)it would be perfect for my personal needs....hmmm...is there any way to "gut" a M-Audio keystation Pro 88 and make it "un-weighted"... yah...I know its a stupid unpractical idea that would void any factory warrenty..im just sayin.

I found 2:

Fatar TMK 88 ca.260 EUR, ca. 9kg
    Yamaha dgx505, 620EUR, 9,2kg

http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schm...AHA_DGX505.jpg

Hans, that Yammie looks like a home keyboard, not for pro use - we'd wear it out in a few weeks...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken-P
    For a long time, I have been dreaming someone makes "mini" 88-keyboard for mobile use.
    Look at this: http://www.manger-m.de/sonderanfertigungen.htm. I ordered one, but the company closed before they could deliver. Some handy person could make the same starting with a normal Doepfer masterkeyboard, I think.

hv

I'm not very proficient in German, but there seems to be some sort of practice/mute 88-key keyboard mechanism listed on the Doefper specials page described as "Tastatur TP8 / 88 Tasten" at:

http://www.doepfer.de/sonder.htm

Seems to be their standard mechanism without the electrical contacts or something. It might be worth the 25,00 (eu?) to snatch one up just to see how easy it might be to lower the weighting on LMK hammers... might be as easy as snipping off or filing down some lead weights. If this is really a direct replacement part, you might even be able to swap out an unmodified one and restore it if it doesn't work out. Might be worth checking into.

Howard

Smile Re: Unweighted 88 key controllers??

Quote Originally Posted by Ken-P
    Ive been dreaming that someone would make this mini, with its features into a full size 88...

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_...&category_id=1

Go Back to forum