• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using Garritan Orchestra with Ensoniq ASR-10

Share/Bookmark

Question Using Garritan Orchestra with Ensoniq ASR-10

I'm a newbie guy at all this electronic music stuff. Well, not too new. I have an Ensoniq ASR-10 and I use an old version of Finale to score my music. I have listened to some of the Orchestra samples by Garritan Orchestra and am amazed. I don't know where to go from here. I keep seeing references to Kontakt, GigaStudio, and other programs. I would like to keep the ASR-10 as my MIDI controller (so I don't have to buy a new one). Can anyone out there give me some tips on how to ideally put it all together? Sorry if vague, maybe with some responses I'll be able to better express it all. Thanks for your expertise.

Re: Using Garritan Orchestra with Ensoniq ASR-10

Hi Shelfos, it's great that you already have a controller keyboard, keep it. I am assuming that it has a mod wheel on it. The mod wheel allows you to create natural dynamics and feel while you are playing in the notes. I personally don't use a notation program, but I do use Digital Performer, http://www.motu.com no, I don't work for MOTU.... DP is a sequencer/digital audio workstation (DAW) software program. If you don't have a DAW of some type, I would highly recommend getting one because it will allow you the ultimate flexibilty and ease of mixing all these sounds to produce a natural sounding stereo product.
    Before I purchased GPO, I called and spoke with Gary Garritan and explained to him how I wanted to use the program, he then recommended the necessary equipment that I would need, he was very helpful.
    Kontakt is the software program that comes with GPO, it is where you select and load sounds/samples and make changes to midi channels etc. Giga Studio is similar to Kontakt, in that it too is a player for certain types of sample libraries, but the two are not always compatible.
    Hope this sheds a little light on the subject. I just got into midi and sequencing back in April and it's a blast.
    Welcome to this fine family of friends called GPO!

Talking Re: Using Garritan Orchestra with Ensoniq ASR-10

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Hi Shelfos, it's great that you already have a controller keyboard, keep it. I am assuming that it has a mod wheel on it. The mod wheel allows you to create natural dynamics and feel while you are playing in the notes. I personally don't use a notation program, but I do use Digital Performer, http://www.motu.com no, I don't work for MOTU.... DP is a sequencer/digital audio workstation (DAW) software program. If you don't have a DAW of some type, I would highly recommend getting one because it will allow you the ultimate flexibilty and ease of mixing all these sounds to produce a natural sounding stereo product.
    Before I purchased GPO, I called and spoke with Gary Garritan and explained to him how I wanted to use the program, he then recommended the necessary equipment that I would need, he was very helpful.
    Kontakt is the software program that comes with GPO, it is where you select and load sounds/samples and make changes to midi channels etc. Giga Studio is similar to Kontakt, in that it too is a player for certain types of sample libraries, but the two are not always compatible.
    Hope this sheds a little light on the subject. I just got into midi and sequencing back in April and it's a blast.
    Welcome to this fine family of friends called GPO!
    DPDAN,

Thanks for your quick reply. Some of this is overwhelming to me, so please forgive me if my questions seem obvious. I'm not sure how the DAW fits into all of this. I am using the ASR-10 as my sequencer, so would the DAW replace it (for sequencing)? What is your setup like?
    Thanks

so would the DAW replace it (for sequencing)?

If you were to buy a separate sequencer then yes, it would replace the built in sequencer of your ASR-10. I would venture to say that most of the popular sequencers that are being used today, would radically impress you compared to the basic features that are common in "built in" sequencers.
    You are right, there are so many different ways to go about midi production, and although I am new to this also, from what I have read, my setup is somewhat elaborate..... I guess. The reason I didn't want to go into too much detail before you talk to Gary, is that I didn't want to scare you away into thinking that you have to spend big bucks to get going, because you don't. I use a separate PC which is where GPO lives, you know, all those instruments and musicians a whole stinkin' orchestra, bow resin, spit valves, all that in the PC. That is connected to a separate Mac G4 computer which is where the controller keyboard is connected to, then when the sequence is played back on the Mac, the PC responds and the stereo sampled sounds go into the Mac for mixing. This all sounds really complicated, but it's not. Since I don't use a notation program, hopefully someone that does will help you out more than I have been able to.
    Anyway, I copied this from a different topic that I posted just a few days ago, sorry to those who have already read it.

Mac G4 dual 1.0ghz w/2gig ram, two 21" monitors,
    Dell 3.06ghz w/1 gig ram, cheapie monitor,
    The Dell is equipped with an RME Hammerfal HDSP 9652 soundcard which distributes 3 ADAT lightpipes into the Mac G4 via Motu 828MkII audio interface. I use a Yamaha KX88 controller keyboard connected to a Motu Micro Express midi interface which is also connected to the Mac running Digital Performer for sequencing and mixing with Altiverb.

Thumbs up Re: Using Garritan Orchestra with Ensoniq ASR-10

DPDAN,

Nice setup! It does make more sense to me now. I think I will talk to Gary soon. I am mostly concerned with the learning curve with a new sequencer. No doubt I can do it, but was hoping somehow to use the ASR-10 directly (somehow get the sounds into it? - probably not even possible). But from what it sounds like in your post, some greater benefits to switching from a built-in sequencer anyway. Cool. Thanks for your help!

My pleasure, and glad to help.
    Do contact Gary, I believe his email is gary@harps.com

Quote Originally Posted by shelfos

.... use the ASR-10 directly (somehow get the sounds into it? - probably not even possible).
    FWIW, take a look at www.chickensys.com Sounds like they *might* be considering developing a Kontakt => ASR-10 sample translator option. And apparently, their translator can already convert ASR10 samples to Kontakt format, should you be thinking of combining Ensoniq instruments with the GPO ensemble. Best to ask them first whether their product will produce a translation loadable in the limited Kontakt player that comes with GPO. (Not to mention issues associated with sample size, etc. I agree with the sentiment that moving toward a DAW is preferable. Just thought I'd point out that link since it seems relevant to the quoted remark.)

-Ron
    Last edited by rkl122; 08-06-2004 at 03:49 PM. Reason: clarity

Go Back to forum