• Register
  • Help

Topic: What is Kontakt?

Share/Bookmark

Question What is Kontakt?

I'm a newbie guy at all this electronic music stuff. Well, not too new. I have an Ensoniq ASR-10 and I use an old version of Finale to score my music. I have listened to some of the Orchestra samples by Garritan Orchestra and am amazed. I don't know where to go from here. I keep seeing references to Kontakt, GigaStudio, and other programs. I would like to keep the ASR-10 as my MIDI controller (so I don't have to buy a new one). Can anyone out there give me some tips on how to ideally put it all together? Sorry if vague, maybe with some responses I'll be able to better express it all. Thanks for your expertise.

Re: What is Kontakt?

Hi,

The rage nowadays seems to be the use of virtual instruments which are included in the purchase of some sample libraries, such as Garritan Personal Orchestra (includes Kontakt Player) or East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra Silver (includes Kompakt Player.). Both offer the newbie just breaking into orchestral composition with the tools to get going at a good bargain.

For a list of minimum requirements for your computer you should visit both sites:

East West: www.soundsonline.com
    Garritan: www.gigastrings.com

Youre in luck! All you need to buy is something like GPO or Silver which is built into a Sample Player already and you're away!! . Hang out on the relevant forums and you can learn all this. Both these sample players (introduced to reduce sample piracy) are reduced versions of the full Kontakt sample player but have everything you need.

Just listen to all the GPO demonstrations. The bulk of these are just using what comes with the samples. GPO even comes with a version of Cubase (and scoring software) so that you can tweak the MIDI even more than you can in a score editor. However, GPO works surprisingly well, due to its architecture, straight from the scoring software.

frank

OK, I'm taking the plunge into GPO/Kontakt.
    I'll also add some VSL soon.

Question: Can I upgrade the reduced Kontakt player that comes with GPO to full version for use with VSL? Or have to buy new?

cheers/blessings,

dnb

dnb,

You have to buy the full Kontakt but Garritan and NI offer an upgrade price for it for GPO users.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Quote Originally Posted by dnb
    OK, I'm taking the plunge into GPO/Kontakt.
    I'll also add some VSL soon.

Question: Can I upgrade the reduced Kontakt player that comes with GPO to full version for use with VSL? Or have to buy new?
    Sometimes Native Instruments has "upgrade" offers for people who have the "instrument" versions of their samplers (Kompakt, Kontakt, Intakt).

From the VSL website it appears that some of the Horizon libraries are in the Kontakt version.

Since I have decided to go Kontakt instead of Mach 5 for now, would Reaktor be a better choice for a synth than MX4?

That is, will it operate like it is in the same family with Kontakt, perhaps saving some learning time and also have a more mature library?

Is this the right forum for this question??

thanks,

dnb

Go Back to forum