• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Spectrasonics Symphony of Voices

Share/Bookmark

Spectrasonics Symphony of Voices

Spectrasonics Symphony of Voices

I'd love to get this awesome library, but the info at http://www.spectrasonics.net/symphonyvoices.html
    seems to indicate that it is only available for Akai/Emu, Roland. I'd really like to see this for gigastudio and can't believe they haven't done a giga version. Is there a reason? Can this data be converted easily?

Mark

Re: Spectrasonics Symphony of Voices

There is no GigaStudio version that I know of. Yes, SOV will translate flawlessly with Chicken Systems software.
    You will not regret the purchase. SOV, 'tis my fav - if I may so?
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

It does convert so well that they diddn't bother with a native Giga version. It converts great with the translator and does well with the built in S-converter as well. Its a very nice library too.

Dave

andyt

Yes it converts fine with the built-in converter.

I had one minor technical problem with the conversion, and that was that my CD-ROM couldn't initially read the partitions on the Akai formatted disk. I was told this was because XP removed some of the essential drivers to do this ... anyway I had go hunting for them, and got the problem solved in a couple of hours.

I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem, so maybe it was just my set-up. Anyway be forewarned if this problem might occur,m but it is solvable.

A second minor point about the conversion is that the tranlation software doesn't seem to recognise the upper and lower note limits of each sample set. What I mean is that if a sample set has a range of say C0 to D4, then C0 will be stretched right down to the lower extreme of the keyboard, and D4 will be stretched up to the higher extreme of the keyboard.

GigaStudio therefore doesn't show the correct range of the voices in the midi-keyboard, and unless you're careful your melodies might start sounding either like gerbils or darth vader as you creep outside the limits.

There is a very easy work around (someone on NS suggested it), and that is to open each instrument in the Editor and adjust the ranges. It is very easily done on a instrument by instrument basis ... but since there are so many instruments in SOV I only correct them as and when I use each instrument.

Again I don't know whether other people experienced this or not.

I actually just wish they still sold the kurzweil version. I can't see it on their site anymore

I converted it to Kontakt just fine. There are no mod wheel crossfades or keyswitch patches so its a cinch.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by andyt
    Yes it converts fine with the built-in converter.

I had one minor technical problem with the conversion, and that was that my CD-ROM couldn't initially read the partitions on the Akai formatted disk. I was told this was because XP removed some of the essential drivers to do this ... anyway I had go hunting for them, and got the problem solved in a couple of hours.
    Bah... I went and purchased Translator thinking that I needed it to convert SOV because I had the same problem.

Thumbs up Re: Spectrasonics Symphony of Voices

Hello Mark.....Symphony of Voices will convert over to Giga flawlessly using Chicken Systems.... and, yes... it is a truly awesome library.

Generally, I'll always use the Chicken System Translator to convert my Akai files into Giga format. I have found that it actually works better than the built-in "S converter" in GigaStudio.

Thank you everyone for your kind posts. I simply must have this library. Just a couple more questiosn then-

Which of the available formats (Akai/Emu, Roland) should I purchase for the "best" conversion to giga? Or does it even matter?

Chicken Systems Software is selling for $130 at Sam Ash, is it worth the cost? In other words, if I were to convert this library using the built in converter with giga, what am I giving up? I don't really want to spent the money on the Chicken Systems Translator if I don't really need to.

Mark

Mark, as long as you're using GigaStudio as your sampler.... you'll be able to use the built-in "S Converter" to convert the Symphony of Voices files... as long as they're in AKAI format. Chicken Systems Translator is a great utility to have in your studio.... it'll convert all kinds of sample formats.... the S-Converter in GigaStudio is only for converting Akai S-1000 and S-3000 formats. So, I'd say, your best bet is to buy the Symphony of Voices library in Akai format. Best of luck to ya, Gary

Go Back to forum