• Register
  • Help

Topic: Steinway B sounds like hammer hits string twice

Share/Bookmark

Steinway B sounds like hammer hits string twice

I have gone through extensive changes in my system to accomodate Gigastudio 96 XP. I now have two independent 40 gig hard driveswith 512sdram and I have tweaked the software settings as well as my soundcard settings (audiophile 2496) and been able to eliminate nearly all of the popping. My problem now is a recurring note. Often I hear a note that sounds like it has struck the string twice when I have only played it once. I would know what was wrong if this was an accoustic piano, but right now I am utterly stumped. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Re: Steinway B sounds like hammer hits string twice

Check your Giga polyphony indicator to verify. The Steinway is stereo so a single note should read as 2. If two notes are being sustained you\'ll see a higher number. Do other users have more ideas?

I have often had recurring notes with my own gigs because the samples have some sort of built in looping...just turn it off

I have come to the conclusion through various tweaks of my system that this is not internal to the program but a matter of hard drive access. I used some of the hints from Tascam\'s website. First of all I was an idiot and didn\'t realize that one of my hard drives wasn\'t in dma mode. Then I disabled write behind caching. I am so close to having a clear/no break up system that I can taste it but I still get occasional \"stuttering notes\" and the very seldom a pop here and there. What is the best way to increase the efficiency of my hard drive further than what I have already done? Any ideas? Thanks.

John

Temps, your problem might be a VIA chipset. You seem to have done what there is to do about the HD access. You didnt tell what system you have, so it\'s a bit hard to know if it\'s chipset, CPU or what.

FYI. I have gotten rid of the \"stuttering\" note problem by following some of Tascam\'s advice. I have paired down my system, disabled all programs that I do not need running, disabled my modem and disabled my other sound card. Now I seem to be in the same boat as everyone else. I just have a pop in my system every couple of minutes or so. Is there anything else I should do to get rid of this final problem? I have my audiocard in the last PCI slot, is that a problem? Could windows cluster sizes be a problem? I am a total computer novice so I am just spitballing here. What info would you need about my system? I don\'t even know what\'s pertinent. I have a Dimension 4300 from dell but I doubt that\'s what you\'re looking for. Thanks for your help.
    John

TEMPS,
    The slot isn\'t the issue as much as the interrupt that the audio card is using. Can you post your current interrupt settings and a list of the cards in your system?

If you just want to go for it, you need to get your audio card on an interrupt that is not shared with any other cards, and the interrupt number should be 9 or 10.

Cheers,
    Mark

Go Back to forum