• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Mac vs. PC - what's best?

Share/Bookmark

Mac vs. PC - what\'s best?

I have a Mac G4 and a PC P4 2.4ghz; as I started migrating toward the PC about 2 years ago because of Giga. Am I the only dummy out here, or did I just get lucky.

I own Logic 6.31 Platinum but have never installed it on my Mac because i hear about all of the massive problems that Mac guys are encountering. It scares the hell out of me, and I\'ve been using a Mac since the 80\'s.

So far, with few exceptions, the PC side of things has been pretty stable for me. Nothing like the kind of stuff some of you guys are talking about. I feel bad for you guys, but I also feel no closer to doing Logic or anything else either on the Mac because of all the problems with OSX.

Anybody doing both? What\'s your take on things?

Re: Mac vs. PC - what\'s best?

Patrick, I\'m using Pro Tools with OSX and I have never had a more stable system. OSX rocks, don\'t believe the hype.

That said, I think Kontact is a better app on the PC. It\'s ugly as hell on the Mac and has a lot of the \"I\'ve been ported over from a PC\" feel to it interface-wise. Plus, I never could get their disk streaming to work on my G4 Dual 1G.

Its true that kontakt is very solid on PC`s but ive heard of people getting exellent performance on Macs as well. These days i think that u hear there more grief with Macs in general(most of my friend are dumping there G4`s for high end PC`s(P4 3.2 2gbDDR etc.) Go check out the NI Kontakt forum as check out the mixed reviews on Kontakt/Mac peformance. Ni are working on improving the mac perf. all the the time. David Das (moderator here and there) is getting good perf. on his Mac i believe ,Rich

Yeah, boy this is a hot topic. Passion seems to go both ways. I use Cubase SX on PC, never had a problem. Kontakt, a few glitches here and there, Giga, same deal, as well as Spectrasonics Stylus and Atmosphere plugs. But overall, if no-one sneezes, I seem to be able to keep things working pretty well.

But holy crap, the Mac side is a mess. I don\'t think I could take it. Plus all of my investment in software is now PC or Mac pre-OSX.

I had to make the decision when I had a fire in my house 2 years ago. I bit the bullet and went with Windows, and so far, I feel like its the first good decision I ever made as far as my selected platform goes.

I love Macs, always have and always will, but I\'m still using OS 9.2.2 because every time I open up OSX, things just seem to go batty. Even with the simple stupid software that i have already loaded( not power apps).

So, I am just squeemish as hell about trying, even though I have a brand new Logic platinum for Mac sitting here that\'s never been installed. So, any and all other feedback will be welcome and helpful. But thanks guys for your opinions! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Patrick,

I\'ve always used the PC and have temporarily abandoned Giga for Kontakt v1.51 having Sonar 3.0 as my Sequence software (Motif 8 - Master Keyboard)

My Gear: 3.2ghz PIV HT with 2 gigs DDR-Ram (PC3200) This computer I built..

Maybe The WIN OS will get us into 4 Gigs Ram soon.
    Mac is already there at 8 Gigs if I stand correct.

Alan Russell

Hey Patrick,
    If it weren\'t for the sincerity of your posts I would have thought for sure, based on the title, that you were sent by the DOF (Department of Flamers...internet, not the other kind... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )
    The one thing you do mention in both posts is Logic, which as we know, will only progress for osx and macs (unfortunate). I can say that Logic is rock solid in osx and the EXS sampler, while not as bell and whistley as the newer Kontakt and Mach5 samplers is equally solid in Logic. While I often envy the sampler developments being made by other companies I am hopeful that EXS will also get a face lift in time. (Although it is my understanding that many of the top developer dogs have jumped ship at emapple [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] )
    At the end of the day it depends on what sequencer you are in love with most. You have Logic... why not install it and take it for a spin?
    I just got a dual G5 and couldn\'t be happier

cb

I have been using both platforms now a few years and my view is . PC\'s are cheap and chearful. Macs are sexy and expensive.

ed

Yeah, I just have a hard time with stepping back into my Mac. Maybe its all the stuff I hear here. But alot of guys are doing OK I guess.

If I should take the leap back in, what OS(X) is most stable for Logic? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mac vs PC? Boy did you open a can of worms! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Both Mac OSX and Windows NT operating systems are built on Unix architecture so the stability is much better for both these days.

I could go on for pages about the good and bad points of both systems (I\'ve worked with both for years) but wont bore you!

One thing I would check if you are thinking of going Mac (particularly OSX) is what plug-ins and software it supports. I havent used Macs for audio so check with some folk here. I seem to of read a few times about people sticking with OS9 cause they are waiting for OSX support or something... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I will go out on a limb and say that you can build a high end PC cheaper than buying a Mac, but if you dont know what components to buy and what works in harmony with the other, you could have problems.

If you really know what to shoot for you can build a high end PC VERY cheap these days.

Then there are places like TRUESPEC that will offer custom DAWS to take the guessing out of it for you. Don\'t know what the prices are like.

Actually, since you are posting this in the Kontakt forum, were you asking specifically in relation to running Kontakt? Or in general?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast