• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Do you write for the listener or yourself?

Share/Bookmark

Do you write for the listener or yourself?

I guess there are two types of composers - those writing for a gig and those writing for a pleasure...

What type are you - and do you enjoy where you're at with it?
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Re: Do you write for the listener or yourself?

I write for me and only me. I don't know that I could do it for others as I haven't tried. I think that would be difficult. To write about a project that really doesn't belong to you, but to put the same passion into it as you would something of your own? That must be hard, and I don't think many composers can do it genuinely and pull it off. Do I like where I am? Yes, I suppose so. I don't rely on my music for money so there's no pressure there. I don't feel burdened by my creativity so I like that feeling. I also could be better at it, but overall I'm satisfied with my lot in life.

I write music for myself...

...and that's why I'll never go to the charts
    Jan Nemecek
    www.jannemecek.net

Smile Re: Do you write for the listener or yourself?

Over the years, I have learned how to compose for both myself and someone (clients, general audience etc) at the same time. Yes, I enjoy the plesure of both selfless craftsman and selfish composer.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

My answer is on the intro of my site...check there!!!
    Leo
    Leandro Gardini - classical/orchestral composer

Pacific Ocean - http://www.pacificocean.com.br

Both for me too. Writing for yourself can be satisfying and also hard in a way since you have the luxury of time and/or second guessing your choices.

Writing for others can certainly be hard; in the last six months I've had to write ragtime, cyberpunk, "pirate music", acoustic rock and roll, flamenco type "Spanish", rewrite a pop song, and orchestral music. It can be fun and scary all at the same time going out of your comfort zone but I really think you grow as a composer from it.

The good side is that you really dont have time to be a "tortured artist" and question every choice along the way. As a result, you often turn out good work at a rate that wouldnt be likely when working alone.

I think the key is capturing the essence of a style, and then finding something interesting to say musically within the boundaries of that style.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

I write to attract babes.

Depends on whether or not the listener is paying me....

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

It's both for me. Everything I write is for a gig, and I'm going to write what pleases me no matter who's paying. I am making that choice, though, and not taking gigs that would force me into a situation I'd dislike. And I thinik after a certain amount of time, people are going to seek you out for what you do--and more quickly if you've established a sound that is a somewhat known quantity.

I write for myself, but I'm always judging my work ... How could it be better, what have I done wrong ... I try to be both the listener and the writer.

Go Back to forum