• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Christmas in August!

Share/Bookmark

Christmas in August!

This is the time of year that I start to promote my Christmas music arrangements, and I thought a GPO rendition of a couple of them would be useful. I've just uploaded a version of "Joy to the World;" it's on the "Listen" page of my website, and is also at the top of the "Featured works" page.

The strings, woodwinds, timpani, and harpsichord are from GPO. The trumpets are taken from Project SAM Solo Sessions, mainly because I've had it for about a month or so and I wanted to do something with it.

I plan to do one more Christmas piece, and then get back to work on my symphony, unless something else distracts me.

Happy Holidays!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Re: Christmas in August!

Nice arrangement! Has a nice baroque feel.

Probably could use a tad more reverb. Also, the 2nd violins sound out of tune. This is a problem I've run into the violins. I think Tom fixed the tuning on the latest update.

I agree...like the arrangement and the baroque feel too. The strings seem to have a slightly too sudden and sharp attack sometimes....I don't mean that they need to be legato....maybe just not all starting exactly together. Hell, I don't know!

Frank

Hey Dan,

VERY nice arrangement. I think it is fitting to arrange it this way. I really love the fugue section in the middle of the piece!! All-in-all, this is the best orchestral arrangement I have heard of "Joy to the World".
    (Thanks for providing the pdf too!)
    Well done!

Jerry

I was thinking of doing some Christmas arrangements with the GPO and make a CD for my family for presents - I hope I can do something even remotely as good as this in quality and spirit!
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

I can't access the score!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1
    I can't access the score!
    I just tried, and the score downloaded OK for me. I don't know what the problem could be. Is anyone else having problems with it?

Haydn: I tried it with various types of reverb, and it sounded best (to me anyway) with the dry room type that I ended up using. I just listened to it again, and it does seem to me that the ending could benefit from a longer reverb tail. I'll see if I can fix that.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

--Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    I just tried, and the score downloaded OK for me. I don't know what the problem could be. Is anyone else having problems with it?

Haydn: I tried it with various types of reverb, and it sounded best (to me anyway) with the dry room type that I ended up using. I just listened to it again, and it does seem to me that the ending could benefit from a longer reverb tail. I'll see if I can fix that.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    This is the link I get by clicking on the score link: http://www.swanswingpress.com/PDF/Shenandoah%20web.pdf

Could you just post direct link to the pdf here?
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Thumbs up Re: Christmas in August!

Thanks, very nice indeed. However, this is Buffalo New York and I should have known better than to play Christmas music in August! It's feaking snowing here now!

Although I agree the baroque feel is a nice touch!
    Styxx

Great job Dan. I love counterpoint writing. Your use of it really made this old tune interesting again.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1
    This is the link I get by clicking on the score link: http://www.swanswingpress.com/PDF/Shenandoah%20web.pdf

Could you just post direct link to the pdf here?
    You're right. The link was wrong on the "Listen" page. It is correct on the "featured works" page, though. I'll get that fixed later today. Meanwhile, try this link; http://www.swanswingpress.com/PDF/Joy%20web.pdf

Thanks for alerting me to this.

(OT: I see you're from Iceland. I'm very interested in Iceland at the moment because I've come across the music of Jon Leifs. Listening to "Hekla" and "Geysir" makes me think your landscape must be very interesting indeed!)
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

--Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast