• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about more ram and cpu

Share/Bookmark

Question about more ram and cpu

Hi guys

I have a question about rigging multiple computers for my daw. Yes, I know a lot has been written on it - and I've read it, but nobody has answered my question so I'm gonna post it here! *neener!*

Anyways, I was wondering if it's possible to "hook up" two computers in such a way that comp2 (the second computer) has only a motherboard, hard drive, ram, and cpu so that comp1 (the main computer) will have more ram and more processing power. Basically, I am wondering if it's possible to attach two computers. I ask this because I currently have 1.2gigs of ram on my main, and it really isn't enough for larger libraries (I'm thinkin about ewqlso). 1.2 is very piddly in fact

What I had in mind was a setup like the following:

1. Computer 1: All my music apps (Sonar, gigastudio, etc.)
    2. Computer 2: A mini computer that has only the parts mentioned above that I 'somehow' connect to Computer 1 so that I can now load more instruments into ram.
    3. Computer 3: Same as Computer 2.
    N. Computer N: Same as Computer (N - 1).

So, it would be an indefinitely long chain of computers that hook up to my main, but with each extra "mini computer," I get more ram in which to load instruments.

Now, question 2: What is the most effective way to increase the amount of available ram? Short of buying gig-sticks which cost way too much!

- junk

Re: Question about more ram and cpu

Question 1: No

Question 2: You want to build all those “mini” computers, and you’re worried about spending money on 1GB RAM modules?

Bill

How do I ever increase my ram beyond the 2gb mark - which is all I would be able to put into my current cpu, since I only have 2 usable ram slots?

I'm just a little shaky when it comes to using more than one computer..

- Junk

No reason to do so. At this point Windows can't use more, and Giga usually can't use mouch more than 1 GB.

Yes, there is a way. Check out the Giga VST adapter by FX-MAX. Check out this website: http://www.fx-max.com/fxt/product.html. This will allow to control Giga as a VST inside your favorite sequencer. Please note that you have to buy an extra copy of Giga for each machine so it can get pretty pricey.

> Yes, there is a way. Check out the Giga VST adapter by FX-MAX

Yes, well, that's not what he was asking

Go Back to forum