• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help - What OS????

Share/Bookmark

Help - What OS????

After recently purchasing GOS and LOP I realized that 500mg of RAM on my Windows 98 dedicated Giga machine is not cutting so:

I bought more Ram only to find out that my motherboard didn\'t more than 500mg.

I bought a new motherboard only to find out Windows 98 doesn\'t support more that 500mg.

WHAT OS SHOULD I BE RUNNING? I need to take advantage of the full 1.5 gigs that are now installed in my motherboard.

Please Win2000 or ME or XP?

Someone please help.

Re: Help - What OS????

Ahhh more of this \'Win98 doesnt support more than 512mb\' rubbish. I don\'t know where all you guys read that stuff.... Do a search on these forums and you\'ll see countless posts on this topic. Anyway what is your problem. Why dont you believe Win98 will use more than 512mb ram?

Re: Help - What OS????

Please Simon, help me. Tell me how to use 1.5 gigs of RAM with Win98.

Vcache?
    MaxPhysPage?

Please...

My problem is that after I installed my new MotherBoard with the 1.5 gigs and reinstalled Windows 98 I got the error message \"Insufficient Memory to Initialize Windows\". I looked this error up on Yahoo and got this page:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q184447

in which microsoft (I am asssuming the authority on the subject) explains that Windows 98 does not support more than 512mb of RAM.

After I added the \" MaxPhysPage=30000\"

command in the system.ini file Windows98 booted.

I have done search on this forum under Vcache, found a lot of posts, but nothing in the way of a solution.

Dude - email me please. I am desperate. freethinker@pipingunlimited.com.

[This message has been edited by Wacky (edited 03-12-2002).]

Go Back to forum