• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Symphony No. 1

Share/Bookmark

Symphony No. 1

Hi,

after having used a "homebrew" virtual orchestra (softsampler with an older audio library), I finally bought GPO and rendered my first symphony with it. I've put the results (download is free, of course) on:

http://www.andreaskrebs.de/html/downloads.html

Unfortunately, I did not yet translate my german pages, but the content is quite simple: one mp3 for each of the four parts - in mono (bad quality) and in stereo (better quality).

I would be very happy for any feedback, comments, critics, etc.

Best regards,
    Andreas

Re: Symphony No. 1

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasKrebs
    Hi,

after having used a "homebrew" virtual orchestra (softsampler with an older audio library), I finally bought GPO and rendered my first symphony with it. I've put the results (download is free, of course) on:

http://www.andreaskrebs.de/html/downloads.html

Unfortunately, I did not yet translate my german pages, but the content is quite simple: one mp3 for each of the four parts - in mono (bad quality) and in stereo (better quality).

I would be very happy for any feedback, comments, critics, etc.

Best regards,
    Andreas
    I listened to a part of each section as I don't have time at the moment to listen to all of the parts all the way through. This musical style is towards the limit of musical modernity that I like, but contrary to common belief I do actually enjoy some of this type of music providing it is sufficiently restrained. I thought all the sections were good but particularly I thought the 3rd movement was excellent.

I'm going to listen right through when I get more time.

frank

Colossal.

The symphony is brilliantly performed using GPO; the use of brass in particular is simply stunning.

For those feeling a little daunted by the size of the 128kb downloads please note this download is a must. The symphony is roughly influenced by Bruckner-Mahler (as well as, perhaps unintentionally, Janacek) but with Krebs unique voice blasting through at all moments.

Mahler and Janacek are among my favorite composers and this Symphony No. 1 looks destined to sit among these constellations. My original quibble about a lack of recurring thematic hooks (I've clearly listened to too many film demos recently ...) has melted away upon repeated listenings. Now, I actually prefer it!

Standing ovation ...

YBaCuO

It's stunning,
    It's a lot of work for a massive symphony writtenin the late 19 century tradition.
    Never it's boring and it's full of energy; that's true, there is some Bruckner and Janacek (but not too much Mahler to my opinion except the fourth mvt) but the composer who came to my mind immediatly was Robert Simpson. Do you know his symphonies and especially the ninth ? It's rooted in the Beethoven, Bruckner and sometimes Nielsen tradition, like Bruckner's ninth's your symphony is the evocation of a cathedral ( to me).I don't mean it's just a copy : what an achievement for a first tentative !
    Your wirk really deserves a live performance to show all its potential.

Bravo and hope you write more symphonies because the cycle of Krebs is vital !

Listened to first movement so far, good work. Sometimes little details of doubling dissimilar timbres two octaves apart, or duplicating melodic rhythm in the drums, seemed ineffective; there was a moment at around 4 minutes that seemed broken by the entry of snare drum. Enjoyed listening and will try to get back for more. Good use of texture in a synthesized orchestra to avoid tiring the ears too much.

Hello,

thank you so much for your feedback! I'm quite overwhelmed, since I didn't expect that anyone except myself would appreciate this music...

My own favourite classical composers are indeed Bruckner, Mahler, Janacek, Nielsen, Strawinsky, Beethoven (of course!), etc. Lately, I'm quite amazed by the works of Rautavaara, since I'm still searching for contemporary composers I really like listening to (not too easy with many 20th/21st century composers ). My goal was always to write some kind of music that is "modern" in a sense of trying out new things (i.e. I'm happy when I don't copy something), but which can still be *enjoyed*

Robert Simpson is an interesting hint: since I don't know his works yet, I'll have to check it (my local record dealer will be happy to see me again...).

Currently, I'm working in parallel on a second symphony (a scetch of the first 6 minutes yet exists), as well as on a synthesizer piece, but this may take some months to be finished.

Thanks a lot,
    Andreas

My goal was always to write some kind of music that is "modern" in a sense of trying out new things (i.e. I'm happy when I don't copy something), but which can still be *enjoyed*

That's a great goal to have Andreas....quite difficult to achieve, I would think, but you are certainly there!

Frank

I also like rautavaara and you're right : he demonstrates that we can write something modern but strongly tonal and very emotional, the period of pure atonality domination is over and now one can express his own feeling and not to be treated as "backward-looking".
    If you are looking for some 20-21 cenury composres in the sams vein of rautavaara I recommend you Aulis Sallinen, Kalevi Aho and Vagn Holmboe, they all come from the Nordic-Sibelius tradition and are great symphonists.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicmu
    I also like rautavaara and you're right : he demonstrates that we can write something modern but strongly tonal and very emotional, the period of pure atonality domination is over and now one can express his own feeling and not to be treated as "backward-looking".
    If you are looking for some 20-21 cenury composres in the sams vein of rautavaara I recommend you Aulis Sallinen, Kalevi Aho and Vagn Holmboe, they all come from the Nordic-Sibelius tradition and are great symphonists.
    The first time I listened to Rautavaara (two weeks ago!) I thougt: what a great time to live in and compose: finally, music is "allowed" to use its full painting palette from deep harmonies to strong dissonances.

Btw.: Sibelius is also among my favourites, as well as Shostakovitch

Thanks for the recommendations (did I mention my happy record dealer?).

@gugliel: Yes, there's some crackling noise I unfortunately didn't manage to get rid of As for orchestration: the usage of timpani as a *melodic* instrument was done on purpose (maybe a performing version should avoid this, since it requires a couple of drums and I'm not quite sure if the effect is worth the effort...)

Best regards,
    Andreas

Unhappy Re: Symphony No. 1

I can't get the links to download... .

Anyone else have this issue?

Thomas Maritn

www.thomasnathanielmartin.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast