• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: original sweet adagio

Share/Bookmark

original sweet adagio

Last night we had a discussion about mockup versus original compositions and whether they should be separated on the forum. I understand that some people are not interested in mockups and want to hear new compositions.
    Since I'm working on "sweet" solo strings at the moment, I composed a short adagio for solo strings today.

ftp://213.189.138.53/AdagioSoloStrings.mp3

Anybody feels to join and submit his original slow piece here (or start a thread with another style)?
    rené

Re: original sweet adagio

Very nice but very sad Rene.

Frank

Now where's that plastic bag??

Couldn't access the link.
    Styxx

Hi Fmfgs, very nice adagio. However, it is underdeveloped - is this work in progress?
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Hardy: Thank you - thats exactly what it was meant to be. When I was playing it, my wife came in and said: I hope you dont feel the way this sounds like. Luckily I dont. But music is the primary language for feelings and sadness is one of them. As long as you dont look for the plastic bag to vomit (reminds me - I've never tried to express that feeling...)

Styxx: Sorry but I cant see a problem on the server. Please try again.

Falcon1: "underdeveloped" sounds really funny in german... It's a sketch, like a painter who uses a paper napkin in a restaurant not to forget a visual impression. Most of my sketches never make it to the "development stage", but they are very usefull to communicate with directors and producers...

Thumbs up Re: original sweet adagio

Hi, rene - -

While this "sketch" certainly is evocative of sadness or contemplation, to me it also has very strong "echoes" of the opening of Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings" (which, in turn, is his arrangement of the second movement of his String Quartet). (Check out the opening snippet here on Amazon: Amazon CD page . (The sample is the second of the "Listen to Samples" section about one page down from the top.)

Barber is an under-recognized American composer who remains somewhat popular with symphonically-oriented devotees.

I hope to contribute my own "slow movement" to this thread (or post on its own) soon. It's wonderful how the GPO and GOS strings facillitate sketches like these!

Cheers! KevinKauai

yes it sounds like barber adagio for strings, but very nice

I say, DOESN'T sound like Adagio for Strings, but still very nice. Maybe a little empty, somehow, but as a sketch that is not surprising.

Barber's Adagio for Strings is one of my very favourite pieces but apart from the first few notes I don't see the similarity....in fact I had to go back to listen to where these comments came from....it similar in that it is also an Adagio for Strings though....

BTW Rene, I certainly wasn't referring to a vomit bag.......

Frank

Exclamation Re: original sweet adagio

I never meant to imply that it was a conscious “steal” - - just the similarity of the first 5 or 6 notes (and two chords, I believe). As far as the title, originally I thought I was remembering Barber’s “Medea” (another excellent piece). I live in constant fear that I will unconsciously lift any of the thousands of themes (especially from the late romantics -- Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff or Mahler) and put them prominently into my next opus. I think it's only fair to point out the similarities when you hear them and certainly hope that any folks hearing my stuff would do the same (for me). Of course, composers for film scores have been doing this with completel impunity for pretty much since music was added to films, but somehow it's treated and perceived differently for "serious" music.

As far as “bags”, one must have seen the excellent Kevin Spacey film “The Life of David Gale” (with the wonderful Laura Linney and Kate Winslett -- for a really OT reference!).

I’m thinking of adding Falcon’s excellent disclaimer to my signature. All of these comments are, by nature, opinions and to be taken with a grain of salt (and no one should get their knickers in a twist!).

Cheers! KevinKauai

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast