• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO developed score used with live players

Share/Bookmark

GPO developed score used with live players

Recently I posted a piece of mine called "Elephantopia" that was done with GPO for the oboe and bassoon parts. My plan was to bring in live players for those parts, and this past week I was able to do that. I spent a lot of time refining the parts with GPO, so that the actual recording time would be minimized.

The players that I used are the principal oboe and bassoon players in the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra. The part was challenging for them, not because it was difficult, but because they are straight orchestral players, and the parts have a swing/jazz style.

Nevertheless, I think they did an awesome job. You can hear both the GPO version:

http://www.cdsol.com/cdsol/downloads/elephantopia2.mp3

and the live player version:

http://www.cdsol.com/cdsol/downloads...ephantopia.mp3

at the above links.

I can provide details about how they were recorded if you like. I used Sonar for the piece, and used the Waves Renaissance reverb for the oboe and bassoon parts.

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

Re: GPO developed score used with live players

Hi

Very interesting.

I enjoyed the mood of the peice. Typically that kind of percussion finds its way in action setting. This was a refreshing change.

What an interesting contrast and education! .... I compared the GPO and the Live instruments and learnt a lot about how the phrasings are done by people blowing.

that basoon ... the standard contrast between the initial moment of attack and the volume of the body of the note ... and the way the body of the note had more timbre/tone contrast than the GPO. Just wondering about compressoin if any used ...

I now know if I do a basoon, I am certainly going to tweak the contrast between attack and note body.

I like the way both live instruments did 'suggested' semiquavers ... like .. they were supposed to represent that kind of space .. but they allowed the space itself to creep into the end of the note value. Nice touch.

By way of final comment, I felt that your title and the whole mood of the peice fitted each other fabulously. Even WITHOUT the title, I would have got the sense of elephants.

OK ... Use of basoon and a glissing trombone ... standard elephant ... BUT ...

Elephantopea ... the sense I had was of an entire community of elephants of different shpes, sizes and ages. The feeling for me was most definitely that of a well established community of elephants.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Zenda; 08-09-2004 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Smiley Typo: change ;0 to :)

Martin, this really is a sensational and original piece of composition and arranging. I think that with some clever words (and maybe some guitar) you could have a number one pop tune on your hands.....seriously. It's got a fabulous driving rythym too and would be great to dance to. As much as I dislike Rap some talkover like that would be amazing....

I like to think that I know something brilliant when I hear it.....there is no doubt your really have got the makings of something here. IT really stands out for me. You could definitely have a 'novelty' hit (and that's no insult) with this. It doesn't want to be any longer than it is for this.

The comparison between GPO bassoon and oboe with the real ones is most interesting too. It's one of these things....with an immediate AB comparison I would (I think ) be able to spot the impostor......but it's not easy as now I've had the GPO one (you say! ) looping around for some time and it's getting hard. Such is the ability of GPO and your ability to use it.

Is that the GPO orchestral bass drum or is the percussion not GPO. There is also a (non-GPO) bass at the beginning isn't there?

I like your production too. I would be interested to hear how you got the 'gun shot' reverb and other effects.....if you could spare the time.

Great originality!

Frank

PS Mine is a listener's view rather than an analyser's....

This could have been the basis of a great trad jazz standard in their heyday. The trombonists would have loved it!

Zenda,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

No, I did not use any compression on either the bassoon or oboe. I recorded them at 24 bit with about 6db of overhead. The bassoon was recorded with a Studio Projects C1 microphone through an SP VTB-1 preamp, and the oboe was recorded with an SP C4 mic through the same preamp. The bassoon was recorded first and the oboe a few days later. In reading about bassoons and recording them, I discovered that they do not have a lot of dynamic range, so that may be why it sounded compressed.

I would really like to find someone that could do an animation of the piece in the style of "Fantasia".

-- Martin

Hardy,

Thanks very much!

The percussion is all from Percussive Adventures 2 LE. It is a lot of fun to "play".

The bass is from Atmosphere. It is a moog bass patch.

The trombone is live, played by me.

All the effects on the drums are included in PA2. The trombone is a digital delay with some reverb. The bassoon is as recorded through the Waves Renaissance reverb. The oboe has a high cut EQ on it to tame the high end, and also goes through the same reverb as the bassoon.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "gun shot" reverb, so I hope that answers your questions.

-- Martin

Quote Originally Posted by mschiff
    Hardy,

Thanks very much!

The percussion is all from Percussive Adventures 2 LE. It is a lot of fun to "play".

The bass is from Atmosphere. It is a moog bass patch.

The trombone is live, played by me.

All the effects on the drums are included in PA2. The trombone is a digital delay with some reverb. The bassoon is as recorded through the Waves Renaissance reverb. The oboe has a high cut EQ on it to tame the high end, and also goes through the same reverb as the bassoon.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "gun shot" reverb, so I hope that answers your questions.

-- Martin
    Yes that did Martin....much obliged..

Frank

I remember when you first posted this. I think it is even better with the live players. Sounds great.
    Trent P. McDonald

Yeah, this composition is very smart.
    I remember when hearing the original the brass swing brought to my mind an image of an elephant swinging his ... ( How do you call it ? ) Nose-hose thing
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor
    Yeah, this composition is very smart.
    I remember when hearing the original the brass swing brought to my mind an image of an elephant swinging his ... ( How do you call it ? ) Nose-hose thing
    TRUNK

Thanks Trent and Theodor.

Glad to be of help, Frank.

-- Martin

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast