• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Last IRQ question. I Promise!!!

Share/Bookmark

Question The Last IRQ question. I Promise!!!

I know that this WinXP IRQ topic has become a "non-issue" and I posted another similar question earlier today... Sorry, but I've been having some occasional troubles with my computer locking up and think that it might be an IRQ conflict (although, no conflicts show up in Device Manager.) If you have just a minute, please look at the specs below and please help me out if you can. (I checked and, as it turns out, my Echo MIA soundcard IS on it's own IRQ) Maybe it's the "video card?" Can you see where the main conflict be coming from? Once again, very sorry for "rehashing" this same troublesome topic. Thank you.

Here's the IRQs that are being shared....

(PCI)16 Intel (R) 82801 DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller- 24C2
    (PCI)16 NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440

(ISA)22 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    (ISA)22 VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

(PCI)23 Intel (r) 82801 DB/DBM 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
    (PCI)23 WinXP Promise Fast Trak 376 (tm) Controller

Re: The Last IRQ question. I Promise!!!

IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
    IRQ 3 Motorola SM56 Speakerphone Modem OK
    IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    IRQ 11 Intel(R) 82801EB SMBus Controller - 24D3 OK
    IRQ 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 16 NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 OK
    IRQ 16 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2 OK
    IRQ 16 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE OK
    IRQ 18 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7 OK
    IRQ 18 Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers OK
    IRQ 19 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4 OK
    IRQ 20 Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection OK
    IRQ 21 M-Audio Delta Audiophile OK
    IRQ 21 Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
    IRQ 23 Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD OK

There's mine. As you can see my audio card is shared, also my video card. No problems on this end. What is the error you're getting when the PC locks up. Word for word.

Hi Guys, if your running Windows XP under ACPI, (it should be by default) you no longer need to worry about "shared" IRQ's. There not really shared at all. XP creates a stack of "virtual IRQ's"

Heaps of my devices show the same IRQ number when booting up.

Gary, have you got the latest drivers for your card? It might even help to try it in another PCI slot.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Exclamation Re: The Last IRQ question. I Promise!!!

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes Scott, the drivers are current... so I don't think that's the problem. Also Joseph, there is no error message when this occurs... I can be in the middle of composing a piece of music and, when I play it back (in GigaStudio & Sonar 3)... it will occasionally totally freeze-up. And nothing will get it "un-stuck" without restarting the computer. I tried Control/Alt/Delete.... Esc.....Shaking the hell out of the mouse.....nothing works to un-freeze the screen! The lock-up is accompanied by a constant, annoying high pitched tone (kinda like a loud, high frequency buzzing sound) Then, I immediately turn down the audio fader (and yell out a few profane words ) So, the problem, I figured... was either the Echo MIA sound card or the Video Card. When I saw shared IRQ settings, I kinda thought that the problem was somewhere in that area.... and, I guess...it could be something else. Any of you guys and gals ever had a similar problem? Any help is greatly appreciated...... Gary

Hi Gary, I actually did have that problem once with an Echo Darla card but I think it was bad drivers causing the problem. Its a pretty old card.

It might be worth doing a complete uninstall of the card and the drivers, Echo might even have an uninstall utility available. Then perhaps try re-installing?
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Wink Re: The Last IRQ question. I Promise!!!

Thanks Scott.... So, it may be an issue with "Echo Audio" sound cards... okay, I will check their website and see what's available. (With the Echo Audio drivers...I know that some of the newer drivers for Echo MIA don't work well with GigaStudio. So, I will try each one individually and see how they work out.) And, if needed, I will do the reinstall. I appreciate the help. Gary

I have the same problem and have m-audio audiophile.I switched the card to a different pci slot and now its working little better but sometimes still freezes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary M. Thomas
    Thanks Scott.... So, it may be an issue with "Echo Audio" sound cards... okay, I will check their website and see what's available. (With the Echo Audio drivers...I know that some of the newer drivers for Echo MIA don't work well with GigaStudio. So, I will try each one individually and see how they work out.) And, if needed, I will do the reinstall. I appreciate the help. Gary
    I tried going back to 6.04 but I also had to run at a higher latency. I use 6.08 for Gigastudio and I have no problems. I would also check in the Echo panel you are not running in Pure Wave mode.

I found it odd that you have some controllers that are VIA and Intel.

hv

Biggest problem I've been hearing about lately has to do with onboard devices like USB controllers fighting with PCI slots that share physical interrupt lines with them. Some folks report they have to unplug their USB memory readers while doing critical audio work. Check you mobo PCI slot IRQ assignment chart to see which interrupt lines (usually denoted INT-A, to INT-D or INT-H) are shared with what. Trying a different slot often helps. As does using the latest audio, usb, and chipset drivers.

Howard

Go Back to forum