• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GOS Sound Quality

Share/Bookmark

Question GOS Sound Quality

Hi, I purchased the GOS package a couple of years ago and I use it with Gigastudio 160 version 2.54, Advanced Orchestra and Finale 2004 all running on Win XP Pro. My main concern at the moment is that I am not getting really good sound from the violins. Many people have commented that they still don't sound natural, that they sound "synthesized" or "electronic", yet in many of the demos I hear online they seem to be getting much better string sounds than I am with the same package.

I have a good sound system and pretty good sound card, but the strings, especially the violins, sound harsh and strident. I can't seem to get the real string sounds it seem others are getting.

Until now, sound quality did not matter so much to me, it was enough just to have the system to playback my compositions, but now I need to be able to produce finished audition pieces and would like some pointers on how to get the best sound quality from the system.

Also, I have received four update CD-ROMS for this package. I am astounded that Garry Garritan can mail these out for free, and I would gladly pay for the updates, but how can I tell if I have them all as I want to keep my system current.

Del Neroni

Re: GOS Sound Quality

I believe a number of complaints were related to the dryness of the samples. They sound much better with a bit of ambience and/or reverb added. If they still sound too bright for you, look at the "WARM" samples (and how to control them) and/or alter the sound with some EQ cuts in the frequency range that bothers you.

BillC

Can you post a reference to some of your problem areas? I too struggle with making the violins -- and everything else, too -- realistic. And I use GOS with Gigastudio on xp (with Sonar as sequencer).

You don't mention your background in Orchestration. A lot of people have problems getting sampled instruments to sound real because they haven't studied writing for real instruments. Could that be the case here?
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Dan brings up an excellent point. One needs to understand how to write for an instrument to make it sound real. Just because an instrument range is defined doesn't mean composers write for all the note positions with equal preference. Often very few notes are commonly used on a given instrument; and voicing the instruments within sections and sections within an orchestra frequently are restricted to a certain degree by common practice.

Separately, you may want to search for "sound stage" in the archives

Example:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ht=sound+stage

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ht=sound+stage

BillC

Another thing to consider: On another thread, you say that you are committed to Finale as your main sequencer. You really need to rethink this.

This is not a put-down of Finale. I've used it almost every day for 10 years or so and I would never consider switching to another notation program.

But that's the point; Finale is a notation program. I would never consider using it as a sequencer, at least not for serious work.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

You may want to do a search on the forum. There was a few posts and tips on EQ for the violins. I usually put an 8db cut in between 2.8 KHz to 3.4 KHz to get rid of the harshness.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    You may want to do a search on the forum. There was a few posts and tips on EQ for the violins. I usually put an 8db cut in between 2.8 KHz to 3.4 KHz to get rid of the harshness.
    I agree with this type of approach. The two best pieces of advice I can give are to spend time finding what frequencies to cut in the high end and spend lots of time writing and refining controller data. If the patches are mod wheel centric, than use that, but otherwise CC 11 works very well for volume shaping through the Expression controller.

The A's on a violin range run from A=440 through A=880, A=1760, A=3520 and even A=7040 -- hard to see how a fixed eq can help with such a big range; that 2.8-3.4KHz will help with middle to high on-the-staff notes only, right? Does anyone adjust the eq settings depending on the note begin played?

Guglielmo

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    You may want to do a search on the forum. There was a few posts and tips on EQ for the violins.
    Can't search on the two-letter-word "EQ"! Any guidance for how to search for previous discussions of this?

Go Back to forum