• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Again?? Mic input needed.

Share/Bookmark

Question OT: Again?? Mic input needed.

Anyone have any comments about the quality of theses mics?

Thank you,
    FB

Joe Meek m47 large diophram studio microphones
    Features:
    The JM47 is a very high quality true capacitor microphone with FET impedance converter and transformer output. (NOTE, this is NOT an electret microphone)
    The capacitor element is manufactured to the classic ‘centre electrode’ design which provides smooth extended frequency response without low frequency boominess. Quality is further enhanced by using dynamic feedback actually at the capacitor element. This original technique eliminates distortions which can occur when using this type of microphone for high volume levels.
    The capacitor membrane is microfine ‘mylar’ with gold sputtering, voltage polarised by phantom power.
    The microphone body is made of brass with double screening of the transformer. Connection is via screened balanced audio cable with 3 pin XLR connectors.
    JM47 Specifications
    Dimensions:137X22mm
    Frequency response:substantially flat 20Hz to 20KHz
    Recommended load impedance:2Kohm
    Signal to noise ratio: 74dB Dynamic range:126dB
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Re: OT: Again?? Mic input needed.

I can't remember the specifics, but I do remember this mic received less than stellar reviews when they released it.

Kind of figured

Shame really. Very attractive bundle price for matching pair with case and shock mount on EBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media
    Kind of figured

Shame really. Very attractive bundle price for matching pair with case and shock mount on EBay.
    What is the price, if I may ask?
    Jan Nemecek
    www.jannemecek.net

$289.99 <-------------very low cost.

I assume the price does answer my question but I thought it would not hurt to ask around.

Upon researching a bit more, I found the reviews below, although I couldn't find the reviews from the other major music magazines. Seems the opinions weren't so bad, comparing it favorably to other budget condensers like the Rode NT1. Bottom line is that it's probably a great deal if you are simply trying to expand your mic collection, but is unlikely to become your main go-to choice.

http://www.nulldb.com/professionalau...reviewjm47.htm

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/article...256A12001B185A

http://www.proaudioreview.com/par/de...kPak-Web.shtml

Thank you Sean. Very nice of you.

Those may be Shanghai U87-alikes, which would mean that they're okay but certainly not U87s. Marshall Electronics sells U87-alikes for about $90, and they're hard to beat for that price.

What puzzles me is that PMI, who distribute Joe Meek, also distribute the Studio Projects line. Those mics are surprisingly good for the money. I reviewed three of them for Mix magazine a few months ago:

http://mixonline.com/news/audio_stud...s_2/index.html

Bottom line, you can get very lucky with cheap mics these days. You can also get unlucky, so you really must be able to return them if you get a bad one. I have an accidentally-matched pair of Oktava MK012s that sound really good, and they're about $150 a pair nowadays. Those are small-diaphragm mics, though - different thing.

Nick,

I hear a lot about Marshall. Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media
    $289.99 <-------------very low cost.

I assume the price does answer my question but I thought it would not hurt to ask around.
    I've actually been asking because I wanted to suggest Rode NT4 which I'm liking very much...though it's a fixed stereo mic...
    Jan Nemecek
    www.jannemecek.net

Go Back to forum