• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Too Many Registered Instruments?

Share/Bookmark

Too Many Registered Instruments?

I have over 14 gigabytes of registered instruments for GigaStudio 2.5. If I go over that amount, the my system freezes and hangs while profiling the hard drive. I know it usually takes some time to re-profile such a large collection but the program actually stops responding! Does anybody else have this problem. Is this a limitation of gigasampler? Thanks

Re: Too Many Registered Instruments?

You REALLY need to let the system sit. For some it can take MANY minutes to build a If however its only a problem Quicksound Database the first time. Go get some food or something. See what happens.

If however, you haven\'t had a problem with giga until you go over 14GB, it may be a Hard Drive problem. Do a Disk Check, and/or de frag.

It could be that you have some bad sectors on the drive and its causing issues.

I have about 50 GB worth of gigs. No prob here.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

[This message has been edited by KingIdiot (edited 03-14-2002).]

Now we are at this, I have quite some strange problems with loading large instruments like Voices OT Apocalypse, Bosendorfer etc.. sometimes they load and sometimes not (GS hangs in loading process)

Defragmenting the 20 gig maxtor (with gig stuff) takes extraordinary long as well.

I have about 11 Gig of Library stuff.

Thanks,
    PDG

Hi pendragon,
    Good to see you. I had a problem that looked like my GSt system was hanging, but turned out that my [vcache] settings were just slowing it down. Most interesting, it wasn\'t happening on my largest instruments. Go figure.

Hi electrobank! Good to see you here!

electrobank is a great contributor in the PTLE world. We\'re lucky to have him here too!

Cheers,
    Mark

Hi Mark, so what would be a good Vcache setting in the sys.ini for 512 MB ECC ram then?

Thanks,
    PDG

pendragon,
    I don\'t know about \'good\', but I think 16384, 32768, 65536 would be what I\'d try, and in that order.

When I went from 4096 to 16383 by problems went away. I\'ve got 768MB in a P3-500. It\'s working well for me right now. I don\'t believe ECC/non-ECC makes any difference for this.

I need to go do some reading about what this vcache thingy really does...

Take care,
    Mark

You should only buy ECC memory if your computer is a crucial server, monitoring nuclear plants or something For running GigaStudio or such, it is not worth the extra $.

Hi,

True, I don\'t advice anybody to buy ECC but I was adviced at that time (1 year ago) it would fit nicely in a DAW If you asking me I don\'t notice a bloody difference with non ECC ram, maybe others have some to say.

Cheers,
    PDG

Mark, the settings (the second) improved my bad experience with funny sounds when holding the sample till the end of it\'s range... normally a bark, or pop appeared. However do sample load slower with this vcache setting. That doesn\'t matter, the \"barks\" and \"plops\" reduced to zero

Cheers,
    PDG

pendragon,
    Well, first I\'m glad that at least we solved some problem!

What do you mean by slower? How long are your samples taking to load?

Mark

Go Back to forum