• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Surround Monitors?

Share/Bookmark

Surround Monitors?

Any suggestions for a set of monitors for a 5.1 setup? Please not a set with a $5000 price tag either. I would like something that would be good for mixing and the occasional surround sound movie.

Re: Surround Monitors?

I don't know that you need the Grace one for what you want to do. Watching movies requires a surround-capable DVD player and a surround receiver. Go down to Good Guys or one of those places - you should be able to find one for very little. You can get things with five crapola speakers for $99 or something.

Mixing in surround is another matter. Ideally you'd add three of the same speakers as your stereo ones, but you can get by with one for the center and then two smaller ones for your surrounds.

You also want a sub for the .1, but music surround mixes don't always use the sub, so it's not like you'll die without it. However, a friend of mine uses the $99 one they sell at Costco, and it sounds fine. And this guy is a seasoned pro engineer, so it's not like he doesn't care.

Aaron....

Thank god I saw your thread, I can help you. Yes, I do know of a killer 5.1 set-up that isn't $5,000...... it's actually $8,000.

Why don't you list what your budget is first. Hard to make a recommendation otherwise. Who knows if you have $500 or $2,500 to spend or less than $500? See what I mean...

KID-

Arrow Re: Surround Monitors?

M-Audio LX-4

...under $500 (when you get the 2.1 system with the expander) and worth many times that.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

How about half that?

http://www.bayviewproaudio.com/catal...s-p-17684.html

I've been very happy with my Blue Sky 5.1 system. I originally chose it over similar but more expensive Dynaudio and Genelec systems because they were the only speakers that could be suspended from the ceiling with Omnimount brackets, and the layout of my room wouldn't allow for floor or wall-mounted surrounds. But the speakers have pleasantly surprised me with a pleasant but non-hyped sound, industry-acknowledged smooth crossovers and a fully functional bass manager controller. I doubt there's a surround system that can compete in this price range. (Skywalker Ranch installed dozens of them in their satellite surround suites, which might count for something)

Cool Re: Surround Monitors?

I'm in a similar boat. I've been monitoring using home cinema equipment (Yamaha DSP AX620 amp - which does take 6 separate inputs, Mission 701 speakers and a Paradigm PS-1000 sub).

I'm trying to convince myself that I need monitors instead, but I don't have much of a budget. And since I'm using extremely good hi-fi stuff, and would be swapping for very cheap monitors, I'm worried that there would be no improvement, or that things would actually be worse.

I can't get the Blue Sky monitors over here, so my choice is even more limited. Are the M-audio LX range actually any good? What about the Tannoy Reveal monitors?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

If you're really going to mix through it, I'd get the little powered Mackies.

Thumbs down Re: Surround Monitors?

Quote Originally Posted by folmann
    Aaron - if you wanna get into 5.1/7.1 composing I would really advice you to save up the money and buy a good set of speakers. The ones mentioned here (with the exceptance of BlueSKy) are not capable of reproducing a decent level of quality in relation to 5.1.
    That's utter bull[nss][nss][nss][nss] - and here's why... if you set up your system to distance, position and SPL level standards - *and* have a space that is either treated well (see Auralex, et al) or is inherently suited to surround - you will get results equal to $3000 speakers in the same space.

It's the room - not the speaker. It's the magician, not the wand.

If I had the budget, I'd probably get the Blue Sky monitors - **BUT** it would also be budgeted with about $3000 worth of studio room renovations to match the outlay - becuase that's the *only* way that the speaker cost could be justified. But to say that anything short of the BlueSky is "not capable" of producing a good mix is just arrogant, senseless and vapid.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    That's utter bull[nss][nss][nss][nss] - and here's why... if you set up your system to distance, position and SPL level standards - *and* have a space that is either treated well (see Auralex, et al)

It's the room - not the speaker. It's the magician, not the wand.
    Yes .... position, room, etc are important, but you are wrong - the quality/reputation of the monitoring system is equally important. It needs to translate well. From cinema to a crummy home theatre setup. Imaging is also VERY crucial. Houston, no offense, but i always see you suggesting products that YOU use, and inturn acting as though they're the holy grail .. ...........

Such as recommending Aaron purchase the silly surround matrixing plugin ... and supporting your suggestion with one testimonial. HELLO - not everyone will need what you 'wanted'. Furthermore, you failed to explain the application of the SRS plugin ... just saying you need this for surround is absurd. Matrixed surround is going out the door, discrete 5.1 is the NOW, Rt/Lt is the past.

Please, enough gallivanting already.

Thumbs down Re: Surround Monitors?

Quote Originally Posted by SWL
    Yes .... position, room, etc are important, but you are wrong - the quality/reputation of the monitoring system is equally important. It needs to translate well. From cinema to a crummy home theatre setup. Imaging is also VERY crucial. Houston, no offense, but i always see you suggesting products that YOU use, and inturn acting as though they're the holy grail .. ...........

Such as recommending Aaron purchase the silly surround matrixing plugin ... and supporting your suggestion with one testimonial. HELLO - not everyone will need what you 'wanted'. Furthermore, you failed to explain the application of the SRS plugin ... just saying you need this for surround is absurd. Matrixed surround is going out the door, discrete 5.1 is the NOW, Rt/Lt is the past.

Please, enough gallivanting already.
    Don't misquote me *AND* puts words in my mouth. If you had the attention span longer than a ferret on a double-espresso, you would have followed the link to my SRS encoder review where I take great pains to explain the inherent evils of surround encoding.

Furthermore - you disassemble your own argument and unwhittingly bolster my point - **imaging** is not influenced by the quality of the speaker in a surround setup as it is in a stereo config. It is more influenced by placement and the room in which the system resides. Accuracy is gained at the expense of a smaller sweet spot - if your surround config is nearfield - almost always is in a project studio. Read my LX-4 review and you'll get the relative advantages of circle and cinematic placement, as well as bi-pole versus mono-pole surrounds. (Note: just noticed that it's not there - will be updated as AudioMIDI migrates their older reviews from the old site)

If the best advice you have is "more expensive is inherently better and anything less than my opinion is not worth the time" so be it - enjoy your little world. But I think it's a disservice to brainwash people into the delusion that they have to drop $3000 on a set of speakers only to install them in a room that can't support it. I said in my post that I would have the Blue Sky monitors if my budget and studio could justify them. What more do you want?

At least I offer objective reference points and secondary sources (check the references to the Dolby, Auralex, and other sites in my reviews) as opposed to simple-minded high-handed clap-trap. Don't you need to take your Mercedes-Benz to be detailed or something? People dedicated to music, audio, clear thinking and realistic budgets are having a discussion here.

Go Back to forum