• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone got a magnifying glass?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone got a magnifying glass?

I recently purchased Kontakt and like it very much, but MAN, the fonts are so small, and the mapping editor is so tiny, it makes it really difficult to work with. Not to mention the eye fatigue that sets in after a short period of time.

I have a MAC G4 with a 17" Apple monitor, is this the same on other monitor setups?
    Is there any way to adjust this?

Thanks

Re: Anyone got a magnifying glass?

I haven't bought it, but I've tried the demo (Windows), and I can't agree more.
    I asked recently whether commercial developers get something better than this. (no reply in that thread yet)

I do have my monitor wound up to tha maximum supported resolution (it's a 19" monitor running at 1600x1200), and no doubt it would be at least a little better
    if I reduced the resolution, but I don't have to reduce the resolution for any other application - other apps are entirely legible.

Greg.

Setting your screen res. to 1028 x768 and "use large fonts" option in kontakt helps a bit..Rich

Setting the display, at least on the Mac, to 1024x768 results in a bit of fuzziness. Not very appealing, as well as it seriously reduces the effective screen size, and with Logic, etc., you need all the working space you can manage.
    I did find a workaround however that seems to help for the time being.
    In System preferences there is a setting in Universal access for Turning Zoom On and Off. I activated it and set the Zoom factor to 2. With a keystroke you can zoom in and out. Though the screen gets a little fuzzy, it seems to do the trick when working in the mapping Editor.

I seriously hope that NI has plans to address this for their next release as it's a serious shortcoming, IMO.

Thanks Lee, but there's nothing wrong with my monitor. It's a Mac 17" display.
    The native res is 1280x1024, which is where it should be set. It's when I change down to the lower res that the little bit of fuzziness happens.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbinsEgg
    Thanks Lee, but there's nothing wrong with my monitor. It's a Mac 17" display.
    The native res is 1280x1024, which is where it should be set. It's when I change down to the lower res that the little bit of fuzziness happens.
    If it's an LCD, yes, it's normal to get a bit fuzzy when you're not running at the native resolution. (one of the drawbacks of LCDs) But I agree that you should not have to change your resolution just for Kontakt's sake!

Greg.

Actually, I *have* seen this characteristic small font appearance in other programs - in Virtual Instruments. There seems to be a common look & feel in V.I's (at least, the few that I have tried so far), where the fonts are just too small.
    Two non-Native Instruments V.I's which I think exhibit the same problem are:
    Peti: ( http://nusofting.liqihsynth.com/Peti.htm ) and Lounge Lizard:
    ( http://www.applied-acoustics.com/loungelizard.htm ) Lounge Lizard is the better of the two I think, though.

Perhaps there is a framework in which V.I developers have to work in, and that framework is the culprit? Native Instruments may be trying to do the right thing by following this standard, afterall, it makes sense to classify Kontakt as a V.I.

Greg.

I'm not sure about the framework thing.
    If you look at the GUI's for EXS 24mkII, Halion, Mach5, to name a couple,
    they seem much more reasonable. Of course they have other limitations I won't get into, though.

We could yak about this forever but the fonts are to freakin small!
    Gotta re-arrange my studio so I can sit within a few inches of my monitors and squint....

Agreed.

NI, HEAR OUR PLEA TO FIX THIS!

In the meantime I'll repost this imperfect workaround for Mac OSX users:

In System preferences there is a setting in Universal access for Turning Zoom On and Off. I activated it and set the Zoom factor to 2. With a keystroke you can zoom in and out - "Cmd+Option+=" and "Cmd+Option+-" (using the = and - below F9 and F10 keys)
    Though the screen gets a little fuzzy, it seems to do the trick when working in the mapping Editor.

Go Back to forum