• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What's a good CD cover design program?

Share/Bookmark

What's a good CD cover design program?

All you guys out there, making your own CDs - can you recommend a really good program to design CD jewel case "booklet" covers and inserts?

I had a good one way back but lost it in a crash, and can't remember its name. What I need is ability to import pictures, place my own text -easily! in any size and font, and print out on card so that the cutting edges are clearly marked - plus of course the round label for the actual CD.

I have the following, and find all of them a bit deficient in some respect or other, so can you name something else, please?

Ahead Nero
    Expert Software CD labeller
    Expressit
    Mediaface 4.01
    NTI CD-maker

Of all those, Mediaface is probably the best but I want even better!

(By the way, Cakewalk Pyro 2004 is way in front of Nero as an actual CD maker.)

Terry

Re: What's a good CD cover design program?

Hello!

You might try the Surething CD Labeler. It's not free but not too expensive either. I've been using it for the past 4 years and couldn't be happier. You can do nearly everything with it, the handling is pretty straightforward and it can do everything you wanted (at least if I remember correctely).

Sure Thing is great for the CD itself, but as far as for the inserts, etc., there are a number of good graphic programs out there. I use Corel Draw for that stuff. Check out Adobe's graphic programs, too.

Actually, can Sure Thing do inserts as well? I never even tried it for that.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

I concur about Surething. I use it for CD labels, covers and back covers. It works great.

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

Talking Re: What's a good CD cover design program?

Preface – I have tried all of the over-the-counter jewel cover and liner notes out there with no success. I found them to be a cheap imitation to the real thing. So I went about creating my own process, which has been, really looks professional. There is a fair amount of work that goes into each design, printing and assembling but the results are worth the trouble.

This is what I do to create a CD in house:

I use Avery CD Labels Shiny Finish white for the printed label. I then apply an Avery Clear CD Label over the top of that. That how I create the CD itself.

CD art- most graphic manipulation is done in either Broaderbund’s Printshop or in Macromedia’s Fireworks. I use Avery Design Pro (program is included with the Labels) for my template and printing of the disks. The clarity of the print and lettering in Avery’s program is quite clear.

Liner Notes - Again I used Avery Design Pro to work on the layout of the cover, liner and even the back of the CD cases. The backs were very difficult to get just so - I had to wing-it so to speak. I print all of these on HP Glossy Brochure Paper and then cut by hand with a rotary razor blade (yes I have gotten my hand rather than the paper! - There is some truth in the saying "blood, sweat and tears!"). Using the Brochure Paper and cutting by hand results in Liner notes that look and feel like that of any real CD you might purchase from Columbia, Arista, or any other music house. None of those ’hanging chads’ from perforations that just will not tare right. The Glossy Brochure Paper when printed looks like a page out of a magazine – crisp and clean.

I hope this will be of some help.

William
    www.williamwest.org

We are the makers of music and the dreamers of dreams.

Cool Re: What's a good CD cover design program?

And another thing.....
    For multi page booklets I found an incredable stapler from Office Max that lines up perfectly on the fold everytime. When creating the booklet I print my liner notes over the multiple pages (front, back, etc.) and then fold each 8 1/2 x 11 page in half and compile so it is in the correct order. I then staple and only then do I cut out the booklet. If you have a color cover it is easy to get the size just right, just cut along where the color meets the white non printed area.
    www.williamwest.org

We are the makers of music and the dreamers of dreams.

Microsoft publisher 98 in XP.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Poolman
    All you guys out there, making your own CDs - can you recommend a really good program to design CD jewel case "booklet" covers and inserts?

I had a good one way back but lost it in a crash, and can't remember its name. What I need is ability to import pictures, place my own text -easily! in any size and font, and print out on card so that the cutting edges are clearly marked - plus of course the round label for the actual CD.

I have the following, and find all of them a bit deficient in some respect or other, so can you name something else, please?

Ahead Nero
    Expert Software CD labeller
    Expressit
    Mediaface 4.01
    NTI CD-maker

Of all those, Mediaface is probably the best but I want even better!

(By the way, Cakewalk Pyro 2004 is way in front of Nero as an actual CD maker.)

Terry
    I find the same as you regarding Media Face and Nero for labels. But found that Pyro is pretty good for making coasters. I used pyro since the first version, kept waiting for improvement, but just made more coasters. Nero 6 Ultra has made good recordings for me, no coasters yet.

William, do you know the part # of that HP brochure paper? I have some brochure paper (I think HP), but it is already creased to be folded for... well, brochures. That wouldn't be good for CD inserts. I used to use the HP semi-gloss (HEWC6983A) and liked that a lot, but HP has since replaced that with another semi-gloss that only has the gloss on one side and matte on the other. No matter what setting I try for the matte side, I can't get it to look good.

Anyway, I'm looking again for something that will print well on both sides.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

I have tried several over the years but seem to always use my old Adaptec (now Roxio) one bundled with my PC. It is very intuitive and easy to use.

Go Back to forum