• Register
  • Help

Topic: Editing Volume / Modwheel in Overture?

Share/Bookmark

Question Editing Volume / Modwheel in Overture?

I recently finished Scott Joplin's "Bethena" using Overture and Cubase SE. It plays fine however, I'm wondering since I wrote (mouse) in the notes I cannot edit modulation? The velocity is editable but everything is at the same maxed out setting. If I use velocity for dynamics I lose most of the attack on the important notes. I tried drawing in modulation curves but this proved ineffective. Also, I tried overdubbing the modulation after exporting the file to Cubase SE the results were the same, nottin' honey.
    Is there a way to effectively edit the volume / modulation in Overture to render the expressions I need. If not, I could leave it the way it is and rename it Scott Joplin's "Frankenstien" for its heavy no exspressive feel man. Ya know like a, Farm out and Powder on the people man! Ya know, Like a, Right Arm man.
    Thank you .... thank you very much! You gonna eat that chicken wing mamma?
    Thank you .... Thank you very much.
    Styxx

Re: Editing Volume / Modwheel in Overture?

Since this is a piano piece you will need to use velocity for dynamics, since the mod wheel doesn't do anything with keyed or percussion instruments in GPO. You can adjust the by turning on the option of using volume controller data in GPO, but if you do this I recommend turning it back off when you are done. The option is in GPO's setup window. If you opt to do this you will need to assign the dynamics in the score to output the expression data to volume. You can have them export the modulation data to velocity and I really think this is what you are wanting since this is how you control expression for a piano. If there are single notes that you want a higher velocity you can make changes to those notes in the Graphic View. I can walk you through using it if you like. It's under Windows, then Graphic Window. I believe it defaults to the velocity graph so you'd be right where you needed to be if you go there. However, keep in mind that any changes you make will override what's written on the score.

Ok, yes I did edit velocity somewhat in the Graphic View. I'm not quite following you procedure with GPO
    If you opt to do this you will need to assign the dynamics in the score to output the expression data to volume.
    Are you saying any dynamic marking on the score will be recognized in this way thus playing what is written? In other words, and you touched on my next question, if I place mp in the beginning of the score and 8 bars later it changes to p or ff it will play the dynamic ranges? This must be all in your tutorial I gather and I apologies for jumping the gun. I was excited that I even finished a piano piece in Overture and it played back somewhat decently thanks to your help in the past. I am learning slowly but Shirley!
    Styxx

Well, there's two ways of doing this. Velocity (preferred) or volume.

If you choose velocity, no adjustments need to be made the the GPO Kontakt Player. Just when notating place your expression markings in the score, 'mp' for example. Double click on the marking and it will bring up the edit markings box. Change the output of the marking to velocity instead of volume and I am pretty sure this will give you the sound you are looking for.

Alternate is volume. In this case you need to turn the option of receiving volume from Overture on in the settings of the GPO Kontakt player. You'll need to enter GPO's settings and turn on the option for receiving standard volume and panning control CC's 7 and 10, but as I said, I would not recommend doing this. If you do, however, choose to do this, you may want to turn it back off when you are done.

Well now ya learn something new every day. Especially from the best! I think I will stay with your first recommendation since that is more logical for as you stated before piano and percussion. (Which in reality piano is a percussion instrument not string.) I can't wait to try clicking on the dynamic markings to see how this all works. I am excited and after I am finished with “Bethena” may I send it to you for critique?
    Styxx

Send it on! Can't wait to listen to it. I meant to ask for the pdf, but I'm just too busy right now.

Go Back to forum